Hyperbaric Chamber Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

73diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have heard of a hospital that has a large hyperbaric chamber. When the chamber is not being used for treatment, the hospital allows divers to take simulated dives (i.e. compression) to experience mild narcosis and decompression. I imagine that the experience is not cheap. I was wondering if anyone knows of the location and details.

I haven't heard of hospital chambers doing this but there's a large multiplace chamber at Aurora St. Luke's - you might ask them.

Best regards,
DDM

One of the many problems today is it would be very difficult for a hyperbaric treatment facility to develop an effective liability release form. An emergency DCS treatment or a patient already under their care is much different than a group from a local dive club on a joy ride.

Another big issue is that hospital-based hyperbaric systems have much higher hygiene standards than chambers used in commercial or military diving operations. They pile a lot of very sick people in those barrels, not just bent but otherwise healthy divers. They would have to pay professionals to clean up afterward.

A very few dive shops in the 1960s had a chamber. They used them to teach and for PR (Public Relations, not Google Page Ranking). My first chamber ride was at the Bamboo Reef in San Francisco after Al Giddings bought an ancient riveted single-lock chamber from the commercial diving school that was in Oakland. Sadly, I don’t think there are any left in the US. Dive boats didn't have release forms then either.

You might even approach a Navy diving locker to see if they might take a group for PR. It is unfortunate that the costs are so high because experiencing a well-structured chamber ride is a fantastic way to learn diving physics.

Please let us know if you find any.

Last edited:
I answered my own question. The multi-person chamber is owned and operated by the Hyperbaric Treatment Center, Advocate Lutheran General Hospital, Park Ridge, IL. The last organized event for scuba divers was November 2013 with D.D. Dive Shop, Glenview, IL. The chamber dive to 130 ft can take up to two hours and costs around $75.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom