Hydros Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a little confused by this. When you're putting your kit on the tank, why would it matter who does the trim pockets. I must be missing something.
Having the weight on the cam strap while you are finnegling it over the tank is a pia.

Having the weight on the cam strap while you are finnegling it over the tank is a pia.
If the trim pockets are already on the cam band, can you not put the weight in the pocket after putting the band on the tank? Might seem like an extra step but if I eliminate a weight belt, it's a wash.

As above in a 3mm and this belt with a thicker suit.
View attachment 774012
When you switch over to the basic travel waist belt, can a small pocket be threaded onto the SP belt on each side before putting on the belt end pieces near the "backplate" attachment spots? Keep in mind, I don't have one so I can't see it first hand.

If the trim pockets are already on the cam band, can you not put the weight in the pocket after putting the band on the tank?

Yes. But we never do, and choose to man up and take the pain instead.

Thanks for the details. How would you compare the trim pockets solution to let's say pockets on a cam band of a BP/W?
I’m waiting in the trim pockets for the BP&W to be delivered so can’t give an answer. Also waiting on Apeks Surelock Attachments for the weight system as the weight pockets slide off without them.
Trim pockets on Hyros are simple, pinch clip, add weight, close pinch clip.

How much weight are you placing in each trim pocket ?
I use 3lb in each when diving a 5mm, mine is being used a lot and I don't have the same issue, it is like new.
The rest of the weight [and I don't need much] is on the belt in the photo.
I do only use the 'simple harness', no weight pockets on my hips.
I use this, old habits die hard, just a new take on it, works for me as an old dude, I can pass it up and climb the suspect dive ladders some boats have here.
View attachment 786484
I have 2Kg in each trim pocket.

If the trim pockets are already on the cam band, can you not put the weight in the pocket after putting the band on the tank? Might seem like an extra step but if I eliminate a weight belt, it's a wash.

It is a matter of logistics and having two weight blocks loss that you have to worry about making sure you take them with you on the boat and carrying them. You can also take them off just before you put the BC on the tanks and then put them in the pocket after you secure the BC to the tank. The issue here is where you are doing this. If you are on a rocking and rolling boat or little space to work, it may be inconvenient.

I prefer to use the weight trim pockets already present on the BC.

It is a matter of logistics and having two weight blocks loss that you have to worry about making sure you take them with you on the boat and carrying them. You can also take them off just before you put the BC on the tanks and then put them in the pocket after you secure the BC to the tank. The issue here is where you are doing this. If you are on a rocking and rolling boat or little space to work, it may be inconvenient.

I prefer to use the weight trim pockets already present on the BC.
I totally understand when it comes to the Hydros. My question was more comparing and contrasting the Hydros native trim solution with what you might do with a BP/W setup, as opposed to thinking of using cam band pockets with the Hydros.

I have had mine for over a year now without any issues and I dive with it a lot in rough conditions hunting and exploring over rough terrain. I use 3kg in each pocket when using my 5mm suit.
Maybe I’m just unlucky then?
1. Hasn't been an issue for me at all. I have 1kg in each pocket and never an issue.
I have 2Kgs in each
2. Didn't notice.
Doesn’t mean that I don’t have an issue with it though
3. Never happened to me at all.
Happens to me
4. Never heard creaking at all and I have to walk with it from the gear assembly shack or car trunk to the water for over 30m.
Mine creaks
5. I don't understand this point.
I dive a dry suit/undersuit so use the front weight pockets. 4.5Kg in each. The zippered pockets are awkward to slip in when wearing the Hydros. If I install them before putting it on, the rig is heavy and I don’t trust the shoulder straps when lifting it on. Just my experience.
6. Not an issue for me, I don't spend too much time staring at it.
Personal preference
7. It is "medium" weight but not heavy weight. I travel with it no problem.
I’ve travelled with it and with my regs, mask and computer in the Scubapro bag it weighs almost 10Kg which is the limit for some UK airlines. It’s just not a light as the marketing hype would make you believe. Again just my opinion.
8. I clip my light and regulator hose to the should strap d-rings no issues. I also clip my DSMB and reel to one of the d'rings on the weight pockets no issue there.
I just find the shoulder D rings a bit small - again, personal preference.
I have BP/W and I moved from BP/W set up to Hydros Pro for single tank diving. I dive with the other BC's occasionally but predominantly the Hydros since I got it.
I haven’t tried my BP&W yet as I’m waiting for some accessories. I might hate it and keep the Hydros.

Weight pockets on the Hydros Pro were much larger than I needed (3 lb per side on the waist), so lead shifted noticeably. The material was "grabby", so small shifts to better align weight distribution turned into deliberate actions. I couldn't move the front D-rings high enough.

I got rid of the Hydros and am MUCH happier with a BP&W. According to ScubaPro themselves, the Hydros is designed to be a modular, back inflate BCD. That's exactly what a BP/W is, and I got mine for less than half the price of the Hydros. (In fairness, it took more time for this BP/W neophyte to select components & setup the BP/W at that point, as I did not go with a "package".)

With only needing 6lbs one could just remove the Hydro's Pro's weight pockets and use a weight belt. The Hydros Pro is great for recreational dive travel. It packs nicely, is versatile and it dries very fast. Without the weight pockets it's a little over 6lbs. Maybe an aluminum or light backplate and donut . The price is the issue and you can certainly find a BP/W setup for the same or less.

Back
Top Bottom