HydroOptix or Prescription Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John,

Thank you for replying. I did purchase the mask in early 2005 so maybe it is one of the earlier masks without nanofog.

I do like the wide field of view (and the assistance in correcting my nearsightedness underwater)...just not the rapid fogging.

I like it when a company rep responds. Thank you.

Regards,
Ltstanfo

Hi everybody,

I have been diving for more than 20 years and I have around 1200 log dives.
As I am near sighted I have always been strugling with mask issues. I began with regular flat masks, then I moved to flat masks with corection lenses but I have never been satisfied with this solution. I take a lot of pictures underwater and with correction lenses for a near sighted i can hardly see the LCD display of my camera.
I purchased a 4.5DD from Hydrooptix on their website as this product in not available in France. I did not received it yet but I can't wait testing it. I spent quite a lot of money for this mask but after reading all the comments on this products and the articles published in the scuba diving press, I beleive I made a good choice. Call it post rationalization not but I believe I made a good choice. I am also impressed by John Kranhouse's (inventor of the mask and CEO of Hydrooptix) involvment, dedication and will to adress consumers concerns. I have the feeling that if I face a problem with his product I'll get a solution. I hope that my Hydrooptis mask will solve my underwater vision problems. As soon as I receive the mask I will test it and report my experience in this forum.
Happy dives to you all.
Arnaud

Hey Arnaud,

I did what you did - took a chance, paid the bucks without testing one, and I was totally satisfied.

Of course, I am already nearsighted, so it was really a no brainer. I still like to switch to a flat mask sometimes just to remind me how much better the HydroOptix is.

I too, never had fogging problems (I have the NanoFog coating), and I routinely use the defog that came with the mask. Leaking is definitely an issue at the start of the dive, but once it is "set" right on my face with the right pressure and mask strap positioning, I usually go the whole dive without a leak.

The focus clarity and the field of view make this mask worth it for me.

I think that if the skirt area adjacent to the sides of the nose and going across the upper cheekbone had a double flap like the sides and upper perimeter do, then the leaking would be minimized, and at the very least, the leaking would not squirt into your eyes.

John, as an eye doctor, I'm curious as to which Rx's this mask is good for ie hyperopia and myopia (& the amount of each) or just the latter.....also, how much astigmatism will/can it cover??....plus, what do you recommend for presbyopia when someone who is an emmotropic presbyope contacts you?...just curious, TIA.....

We bought one for my very nearsighted wife at the June 2007 Long Beach Scuba Show. I will vouch for the fact this mask is not for new divers just developing basic habit patterns, forming muscle memory, and finding a comfort level. The fogging and leaking problems on the domed lense, plus the surface corrective lense issues, are just too distracting when you're trying to focus on the basics of a safe dive.

The folks at HydroOptix have been responsive and helpful, but she's shelving the mask until she gets more experience and confidence. She loves the mask, loves the concept, loves the view. The fogging and leaking is obviously a problem for her, but she's not convinced the problem lies entirely with the mask. She's looking forward to the point when she grows into being able to use the mask. If the problems continue then, she has every confidence the manufacturer will work with her.

It was good to see John here on the board. I'll show this thread to her when she gets home tonight. Thanks for posting folks.

John, as an eye doctor, I'm curious as to which Rx's this mask is good for ie hyperopia and myopia (& the amount of each) or just the latter.....also, how much astigmatism will/can it cover??....plus, what do you recommend for presbyopia when someone who is an emmotropic presbyope contacts you?...just curious, TIA.....

Hi diver 85,

First I digress, for everybody who's not sure what we're all about. Here's a link to a recent post on SB on the "What did you buy that you regret" thread. THANK YOU to "shoupart" who happens to use our mask - NOT a paid shill.

OK - to answer your questions: Emmetropic presbyopes (for those who don't happen to be eye care pros, that's someone age 40+ with 20/20 distance-vision who needs reading glasses)... they would have to wear disposable contact lenses to make them a "temporary" myope. YES, that IS a hassle, but doing so achieves FAR superior accommodation (close-focus ability to you non eye docs!) than any above-water optical system, as I’ll explain. (what we call the "magic bifocal" phenomenon).

To be a “naked eye match” requires myopia – but unlike all above-water eyewear, in range that varies with age. We have an “Rx conversion chart” on our website:
chart.jpg

The goal is to avoid all eye strain and ensure that objects both near and far can be focused (“accommodate” in the eye doc vernacular). And dome optics makes everything much sharper (i.e. eliminates all “lateral chromatic aberrations”):
bifringed_mask.jpg

Everybody's above-water vision Rx is measured accurate to within ¼ diopter, and that's how eyeglasses and contact lenses are dispensed. But when analyzing an underwater dome system with ray-trace analysis, Snell’s Law and our knowledge of physiology, TWO phenomenon are used to determine the “correct” Rx:

1. Young people naturally have greater accommodation (they can focus nearer-than-infinity vs. older people). And because each eye is concentric to each dome, there are no visual cues that the Rx is too strong. Conversely, with eyeglasses where one’s eyes are not concentric to the geometry of the lens’ radii, a too-strong minus lens makes things (A) look smaller than true, (B) further than true, and (C) causes barrel distortion.

2. Dome optics actually “CHANGE” their diopter power underwater, depending upon the viewing distance to the target. Huh?! Because the object (e.g. fish) is swimming IN the lens (i.e. the water-column IS the lens), and as Snell taught, thick lenses (longer water-columns) are stronger than thin lenses:
sup_optics340.jpg

Because of #1 (young eyes can comfortably focus closer than older eyes), divers under 30 can be between -2.5 and -6.0 eyeglass Rx and use the mask equally well. Age 40+ have to be between -4.0 and -6.0 eyeglass Rx, but your CYL has to be converted (details on our website).

RE how much CYL can be accommodated? Just as SPH-only contacts can correct to a 0.75 CYL no problem, and for many to a 1.0 CYL, the dome can be used the same way. Because there are few straight lines underwater, and CYL correction is somewhat subjective, we've heard from divers with 3.0 CYL who are happy without needing toric contact lenses. But being an optical perfectionist, we recommend up to 1.75 CYL ("over-SPH") before considering disposable toric contacts. But for divers with high CYL, they should first test the mask in a pool before resorting to torics.

Here's an earlier ScubaBoard post that goes into more detail RE avoiding eye strain.

Hi Noboundaries,

Hopefully a few tips from our FAQs will solve some problems your wife is having with her mask:
RE leaking (FAQ #51 & 52), there is a chance some is coming in through a purge flapper (she may be a "nose-breather"), and a bit of silicone grease can help reduce water leaking in by creating more "stiction" on the valve-seat.

RE fogging - see FAQ #54 & 55.

I hope this helps - please let us know.

And the Mega 3.5?

Jon,

Thanks for the input. My wife got the mask off the shelf, followed your FAQ instructions, and figured out a way she can mount (and use) the surface vision attachment (different than what you all recommend). She had fun getting it all out and once she felt comfortable with the mask she promptly packed it for our Cozumel trip the end of next week. I'll be sure to post the dive results when we get back. I think she'll have a very different (and positive) experience this time around.

Thanks again,

Ray

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom