HydroOptix mask fogging...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aja

New
Reaction score
Recently I have tried the HydroOptix mask and was disappointed by it. It kept fogging up... (and yes, I had cleaned it properly etc...)
I have been told that this mask is prone to do that whenever one clears it, because of the double lens and the purge valves.

Is there anyone out there who has had the same problem, and if so, what can I do to solve it?
:blinking:

according to the directions that came with mine, you are NOT supposed to clean it like regular masks. maybe that's why it's fogging.

Yeah, its a plastic lense. You cant use abrasives on it.

If you have the new NanoFog lens, it should only be rinsed with water - no antifog or cleaning needed. I've got one but have not put it on my mask yet.

If you have the older lens (I do), use straight baby shampoo and allow a film to dry on the lens. When ready to dive, a quick rinse and it will look a little blurry at first but will clear shortly. Mine lasts for two 60 minute dives when I use the shampoo this way.

The fog is due to the plastc material not the domes or purges.

I have one of the new "nano-fog" masks and have dove it after applying baby shampoo, and without doing anything ... no fog either way. As others have said, if you have the new mask (with nano-fog) then cleaning it with mask cleaner or toothpaste removed that coating and it will fog up.

Aloha, Tim

With the "nanofog" coating I've found mine will fog just a little on subsequent dives if you haven't a) rinsed it of salt and b) let it get good and dry. It was happening to me late in the 2nd day of a 2.5 day weekend trip to the Flower Gardens (dives 3 and 4 of day 2) but a light finger-massage with spit and good rinse-out corrected it.

There's nothing to my knowledge about either a 'double lens' or purge valves that would facilitate fogging. As others implied, plastic isn't as purely non-porous and perfectly flat a material as glass, hence more nucleation sites for condensation to form on I suppose. In addition the larger mask volume means you might end up breathing out thru your nose more often to equalize against a mask pinch, and that might add warmth/humidity that could add to fogging as well.

But I think I'm with the first poster - you really shouldn't have cleaned it. Luckily I think they only charge about $20 for a replacement lens, if you did indeed damage/strip the coating....

Better ask NASA what they're doing...

Back
Top Bottom