Hydrooptix Mask - 1st dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rwhiting

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've seen and posted some opinions on the Hydrooptix mask, and wanted to give a report on my experience on my first actual dives (I previously only had done 2 pool sessions). The underwater view is, without question, spectacular. I am fortunate to be a naked eye match for this mask (nearsighted, -5.25). I found I didn't need the monocle or cover lenses to get into or out of the water. I have never seen more clearly, or had anywhere near the field of vision underwater. The downside is the fogging and leaking that this mask is prone to.

The fogging (and the mask itself) were the subject of much discussion on the dive boat. I finally arrived at a solution that works for me. First, you need to start with a clean mask for each dive, i.e. use a little Dawn or other dishwashing liquid. Let it air dry, then apply either a liquid defogger (I tried both Sea Gold and 500psi gels, with no success) or just spit immediately before the dive, and I had no fogging.

The leaking issue is harder. My face is a good fit for the mask, and I was able to strap it fairly tight without getting squeezed. I'm not sure if it's the material that the skirt is made of, but I could not stop the mask from leaking when I was oriented downward. It is easy enough to clear using the purge valves, but annoying when either you want to go lower, head first, or hover over something below you with your feet higher than your head.

I'm so happy with the 180 degree view and crystal clear optics that I'll keep using the mask, but any advice on the leaking would be helpful.
Thanks
Rich

As with any such mask issue, try a smear of silicone grease on the skirt.

If that doesn't work, try colagen injections!

Fogging? Never had a problem after using gel toothpaste- on my Hydro-Optix or any other mask.

RoatanMan:
As with any such mask issue, try a smear of silicone grease on the skirt.

Doesn't this make the mask more likely to slide around?

If that doesn't work, try colagen injections!

I'm saving up for pectoral implants, but that will be next on my list...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom