Hydro testing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob3 once bubbled...
As already pointed out, we all suspect that the dive shop is trying to hose you.
Yeeks. Say it ain't so! This is the very reason I have been looking for a new dive shop. The place that has my tanks presently is one that I believe at least one board member is affiliated with. I'd better clarify when I pick up my tanks.

Fiberwound tanks similar to those used by fire departments for SCBA bottles are only to be hydroed twice (15 year max life)

I thought I had read that fiberwrapped tanks needed to be hydroed every 3 years. Yes/No?

but they are only good for 15 years. ANY dent/chip in the fiberglass though and they are pretty much done for.

ANY dent/chip in the fiberglass though and they are pretty much done for.
The guy that does my hydros has some interesting tales about some of the tank abuse that goes on. One (a full one) composite SCBA bottle was used as a chock under the truck tire. It blew later on that night, taking the side off the truck. Luckily everyone was upstairs snoozing.

The Swedes have a composite that's approved for diving, it's good for 30 years (if I remember right). Made by Interspiro.
It's not approved for use in the US though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom