Hurricane Dean,seen from a local's viewpoint

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PlayaCountryBoy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Playa del Carmen, Mexico-Meso American Reef
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Great to see that Playa del Carmen came through unscathed.

Do you know how things fared further south, down in Cave Country?

Thanks for the info, Jason! I'm glad to hear PDC fared OK -- I'm planning to go down there again in October.

Have you heard anything about the Mahahual/Costa Maya area? Some reports indicate they may have taken the brunt of whatever storm surge there may have been. Frst thing this morning, one of the local TV stations named Mahahual as the point of landfall -- no other media reports I've seen have even mentioned the place, though I can understand many will not have heard of it.

Here is some more information about Costa Maya sent to me from my friends down at Blue Ocean Safari:

Hello to all of our Friends and Neighbors and Family of diving friends, all of our associates and family in Mahahual.
As you all know, hurricane Dean came in with a vengeance and it went right smack in the middle of Mahahual. I received news from a Triple of the following.

From the new light house all down the town of Mahahual, it is no longer Mahahual, everything is gone! Our friends and family in Mahahual, Luna De Plata, Cueva Del Lobo, Blue Iguana, Blue Ocean Safari, Dreamtime to name a few, are gone. the port is under water, and it will be a 2 to 3 weeks before it goes down, Tequila is gone too, Km 10 was spare but everything else, don't know what the damage is. Our prayers are with all of our friends who owned business and homes, the Casitas were hit as well, busted glass, water and wind damage is seen all over, per the owners of Luna De Plata who were there today to assess the damage, only the new rooms in the back were spared, houses are left in pretty bad shape. I t is a shame that not everyone knew or got to visit this beautiful well kept secret that we knew as "our private paradise" our little island.
Now we are in dire need of supplies, we need generators, water, food, clothing, lamps, torches, flash lights, trash bags, clothes.
beds, and Well we need everything!!!! if you know of any organizations or if you are willing to provide us with the much needed assistance we the community of Mahahual need, Please, please, please Help. if you can pass the word, and if you can help us in campaigning in rebuilding our private paradise, please help. I have not heard from Enrique, and I'm very worried about him and his family, he owns the bakery in Mahahual, I don't know about Iris, or Carol from Balamku, or Justa or Caroline or Doug. I ask you pray for their well being. My heart goes out for everyone in Mahahual, they are family to both Matthew and me, Phillip and everyone who we have met in this last 1.5 years. We will rebuild Mahahual with your help, lots of us didn't have hurricane insurance, but we will prevail and come back to insure you can come back and get away to our private paradise...

We are on our way to Mahahual, we will be there starting tomorrow, there is no electricity, don't know if the generators are working, but we will try to get in touch with you all.
Sincerely

Julie Minter

Thanks for that, logic. It sounds like they caught the worst of it. If anyone knows of any organizations that can help them get the things they need, I hope they post the contact details here so we can offer our support.

Yes - anyone that knows how we can help, please do post.

My wife and I are just heartbroken hearing about the devastation that occured in one of our favorite places.

As bad as the damage was to the structures, beaches, and businesses, I just hope that the people were all able and willing to evacuate to safety.

Back
Top Bottom