Hurricane Beryl - Little Cayman/Cayman Brac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just spoke with Clearly Cayman. Both Resorts are open and undamaged apart from a bit of a mess to clean up. Cayman Airways Express seems to be back on schedule. I suspect the viz will be way down for a few days.

I was thinking the same thing on the viz. If you get time next week, let us know how the viz is - I'd think it'd be cleared up good by Sunday/Monday for the most part. ...but what do I know.

Hope the Kittiwake is still there (off Grand Cayman :) and didn’t end up over the edge.

We were also just in Cayman Brac and not a lot places to hide. They had some caves as shelters in the buff ..

When we came in to LC about a month after Hurricane Ivan, one of the coolest things we saw while diving was TONS of juveniles. Apparently many of the fish spawn during the rough seas of an approaching storm. It seemed like every other coral head had a juvenile smooth trunkfish or juvenile spotted drum swimming around it. So if you go in the next few weeks be on the lookout for juvies.

When we came in to LC about a month after Hurricane Ivan, one of the coolest things we saw while diving was TONS of juveniles. Apparently many of the fish spawn during the rough seas of an approaching storm. It seemed like every other coral head had a juvenile smooth trunkfish or juvenile spotted drum swimming around it. So if you go in the next few weeks be on the lookout for juvies.
Heading to LCBR on the 20th, and this makes me and my macro lens very happy.

Just back from a week at Brac Beach Resort
The only damage at the resort was the pool. It was full of sand and out of order all week.
Food was a bit dull for a few days as the barge had not made it over the week before. As a result of all the rain, the island was green and looked lush.

The diving was as per usual. Dove the north side 4 days of 6, one day at Bloody Bay and one day south.
Viz seemed to be down a bit Sunday/Monday but by Tuesday all clear.There were a few sponges pulled out, but otherwise I could not discern any significant damage to the reef.
The Russian Frigate is no more pulled apart then it was last year, when I last dived it.

Overall a very good week of diving. Saw all the usual suspects.

Attachments

• _7080215.jpeg
    _7080215.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 6
Glad to hear you made it and had a good trip. I have not been to Brac yet. Why did you pick Brac over little cayman?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom