Hunting in Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should hunt on the north coast. There are more places for you to hunt, and more support for spear fishing. I can only speak for myself here, but I don't think you're going to get a whole lot of support from the divers who go to enjoy the marine life, not kill it.

You should hunt on the north coast. There are more places for you to hunt, and more support for spear fishing. I can only speak for myself here, but I don't think you're going to get a whole lot of support from the divers who go to enjoy the marine life, not kill it.

+1

You'd better know EXACTLY where you can hunt, because quite a few people have DFG on speed dial.

do some home work , start with dfg web site. like mentioned, alot of people watching around monterey so make sure you are in the clear ,any mistakes small or otherwise intentional or not will definatley be noticed in monterey. many closures either full or partial. finding these areas is a part of the hunting process. If you hunt or fish you know for sure that nobody likes to give up thier spots. but like I said check the dfg website first. the info is hard to find but it is on thier site.

When the anchovies come close to shore around the end of April, halibut come in close to shore around Del Monte Beach. The CA DFG has a list of protected areas. Monterey near the Jetty is overcrowded with SCUBA divers. I have seen Sheepshead during the winter in front of the MBA and there are some large Lingcods under boulders there, but it is off limits for spearfishing. I do not think the area can take the stress of so many years with the multitude of SCUBA divers there. You will easily see 10 times more Rockfish in Carmel and Big Sur versus Monterey Bay as well as more Lingcod and Cabezon.

The visibility, marine life, and fishing is much better down towards Carmel and Big Sur. The less crowded areas are better.

The North Coast is good for Abalone, Lingcod, Cabezon and Rockfish. But I have better luck with fishing and conditions in the Carmel/Big Sur area.

Sign-up on SpearBoard.com and hook up with MarineMammal (Alex). He knows the Monterey spots and Regs. I think he may also be in the hunting section on SCUBABoard.com.

Back
Top Bottom