Hundreds of dolphins swimming in Lions Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mexico started taxing mammals over a certain size... Seriously though that's pretty rad!

Probably some US Sub doing sonar tests off the coast....

Part of me wishes I could go dive Kelvin Grove tomorrow and part of me thinks being in the water with hundreds of dolphins might not be such a good idea. If they are calving I wonder whether the adults would be aggressive to divers, mistaking them as possible predators?

Part of me wishes I could go dive Kelvin Grove tomorrow and part of me thinks being in the water with hundreds of dolphins might not be such a good idea. If they are calving I wonder whether the adults would be aggressive to divers, mistaking them as possible predators?

In November 2006 myself and my wife were on Tala diving boat in Red Sea, Egypt. The boat has anchored near the Rocky Island and suddenly two huge schools of wild dolphins came around... So, we didn't think too much, pulled out fins/snorkels/masks, jumped over the board and followed the schools. That was just awesome! We've swam for about half of hour and seen dolphins very close - sometimes from 5-10 meters distance... There was lots of little dolphins with mothers, but no one adult dolphin has showed us any signs of aggression... We were very excited - that was a moment of a pure happiness...

Then I looked down into the blue water and noticed a shark at approximately 30-40 meters depth... (viz was just a fantastic).. We were in two in the blue water, about 200 meters far from the boat. I've called my wife and we've rushed back to the boat as a hell... When we've finally returned, captain was waiting for us at the jumpdeck and said that Rocky Island waters are most tiger shark infested waters in Egypt... :) However, sharks afraid coming to close to dolphins and prefer following them at great depth looking for weak and ill species...

Last edited:
I'd have to agree with ShakaZulu, US sonar testing driving them inland. I have no proof of this but it makes sense

uhmmm...could it be coincidence?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom