Humpback whales

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luca Brasi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How often do divers see humpbacks when diving? Can anyone tell me about diving interactions with humpbacks?

Chances on scuba almost zero but several places have regulated snorkeling. Y

ou'll never keep up with a whale on scuba and most encounters are with "resting" whales that allow approach. For a mother and calf it's usually a month or more after the calf is born and Momma relaxes a bit.

Last October in Moorea' the smaller island next to Tahiti we got to see them in person :)

It was humbling and amazing!

David Haas

DSC06364.jpegDSC06519.jpegDSC06693.jpegDSC06896.jpegDSC06908.jpegDSC07454.jpegDSC07461.jpegDSC07200.jpegDSC07383.jpegDSC07006.jpegDSC07432.jpeg

Fantastic photos David. It looks like an amazing moment with the Momma and her calf.

it might have been last year or 2 years ago, somebody posted a (very bad viz) video of baby humpback passing right by a diver, at San Carlos Beach in Monterey of all places (a shallow site, the most common site in Monterey).

I think you'd have to be incredibly lucky to get anywhere near a humpback. Here's my story of being about 100 yards from some humpbacks.

Humpback Convention at Monastery

When I was solo diving at Puako on Kona, Hawaii, I could see the whales swimming by 100 yards offshore. And all day long, I listened to whale songs during my dives.

One day I decided to swim out 100 yards and stay near the surface to watch the whales swim by. Unfortunately I never saw a whale when I was out in the water. The visibility was 200 feet, the whale songs were louder than ever, but I never saw a whale. I even surfaced to check my position visually, and I was in the correct location. But I never saw a whale.

In the end, I sank down to the sandy bottom at 130 feet, rolled over onto my back on the sand, looked up at the surface, got really narcotized, and listened to whale songs until it was time to start my deco. I never saw a whale overhead, either.

Strange.

Back
Top Bottom