Humorous Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
So, as I slowly amass my gear to get back into SCUBA after many years out of the sport, I took my regs to the local shop today for an on-tank breathing test. I recently picked up a new Dive Rite Octo. For those unware, this is a non air-balanced, non adjustable second stage that costs $85. My primary and first stage are a Oceanic Delta's that I bought new in 1994 and have less than 10 dives on. They were serviced about 2 months ago in anticipation of me diving again.

I've been thinking of buying new regs, and probably will. Tops on the list are the Zeagle ZX series, Apeks ATX200/100, and Dive Rite RG2500. I've been concerned about how they would breathe, althogh I know all are quality units.

So I get the regs hooked up on a tank that has about 1200psi left in it. When I bought my Delta back in 1994, I selected it because it was one of VERY few regs that had an adjustable second stage, and was known as one of the top breathers of it's day. I breathe this reg first on the tank. It wasn't smooth, so I adjusted the knob, and got a lot of air. I opened it full, and then backed off half a turn and got a lung full of air on an easy breath. SWEET! I breathe the DR Octo, and it nearly DROWNS me in air! It must have delivered twice as much air as my Delta with the knob wide open.

I had to laugh that I had been worried about which of these modern regulators I was going to get, and worried that I might not get solid performance out of such an inexpensive Octo. What a laugh! Technology is great. The performance of modern regs is light years beyond what was considered easy breathers just 10 years ago.

This should make my decisions on which regs to get a LOT easier.

Sorry to bore everyone with this stuff, I am just happy to be getting this close to being back in the water.

PerroneFord:
.... What a laugh! Technology is great. The performance of modern regs is light years beyond what was considered easy breathers just 10 years ago.

This should make my decisions on which regs to get a LOT easier.

Sorry to bore everyone with this stuff, I am just happy to be getting this close to being back in the water.
Wecome back! I returned about 2 years ago after a 19 year intermission, and I'm still shaking my head and laughing gleefully at the current miraculous gear. I replaced every scrap of formerly-prized old stuff... worth every buck! Keep that appreciation going and have oceans full of fun. Thanks for releasing the enthusiasm.
Claudette

PerroneFord:
I had to laugh that I had been worried about which of these modern regulators I was going to get, and worried that I might not get solid performance out of such an inexpensive Octo. What a laugh! Technology is great. The performance of modern regs is light years beyond what was considered easy breathers just 10 years ago.

Not really. I retired my modern regs (Mk20/G500) when I found I could get the same performance out of the older Mk5/Balanced Adjustable which could also be used to drive nails in a pinch. In your case, the DR octo (RG1215) looks to be a classic downstream design - nothing much new here other than some modern seat materials. Your Delta should be of a similiar design with the added mechanical balancing - same basic design as the (RG1210). I believe the RG2500 uses the RG2010 second stage which is pneumatically balance - same design as the 1980s Balanced Adjustable. Todays tolerances might be a little tighter and some of the newer materials give a little advantage to the new systems, but the biggest difference is probably that the modern materials are less expensive to manufacture but are not as durable.

I suspect if you give that Delta a good service, you will have a hard time telling the difference between it and most new regs. 10 year old o-ring and lub will have taken a set and maybe deteriorated which will effect performance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom