Humira and chrones

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aftershock109

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey
I have been diving for about 3 years have logged over 80 dives most in cold Irish waters, I love the sport and want to keep Diving regularly and possibility go down the technical route some day, however I have been diving with chrones since I started and have always been passed on my medicals, however last August I was put onto a drug called Humira, when this years medical came around the Doctor that looks after our medicals has flagged an issue and I think its to do with being on Humira, is there anyone here that is on Humira and still diving or anyone that can shed some light on Humira and Diving
Any info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Ronan

Ronan,
There's no data out there specifically on Humira. General concerns about medications and diving are whether they increase the risk of oxygen toxicity, act synergistically with nitrogen and contribute to narcosis, depress respiratory function, interact in any other way with increased oxygen and nitrogen partial pressures, or have side effects that can affect diving safety. Humira can have some pretty bad side effects so it would be advisable to monitor for those; also, because of its immunosuppressive effects, you'll have to be extremely careful if you travel to a country where tuberculosis is endemic. Aside from that, I'm not aware of any ill effects of diving on Humira.

Best regards,
DDM

Hey thanks for the reply really appreciate it, I have been cleared to Dive with a cautionary element which is due to the amount of immune suppressants I am on if I get any sign of infection to call my GP and or Dive doctor immediately fingers crossed i wont need too.

Thanks again
Ronan

I'm on humira too, for ankyllosing spondylitis.

I haven't been diving on humira but I have been diving on Enbrel as well as Simpani and had no issues. I'll be diving in Coz in a few weeks on humira and I'm not planning to worry about it at all.

My docs are generally fretful about infections because of the overal immuno suppressing of the meds I'm on or have been on but I generally ignore that (having considered it) because the alternative is too stupid - don't travel, don't shake hands, avoid grubby little children? No thank you.

Dive safe and have fun!

---

Great thanks for the reply finally got passed so back diving ( no diving this weekend Ireland is washed out ha ) my doctor showed concerns about infection but like you I am trying to forget about it but keep it in the back of my mind also

Thanks again for your replies

Ronan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom