Humboldt Squid attack video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dennis:
Actually, the program I saw left me with the impression that they are only dangerous when the fishermen are around. The film boat tried to shoot away from the fishermen and when they did, the squid exhibited no aggressive behavior, just curiosity.

That is actually the reason we made this Documentary. My partner Scott was featured on the Discovery Channel program called "killer Squid" (talk about a hyped up title). He was the one featured in the Squid armor that he had designed. The other two people that where diving with the squid where tryint to prove that the squid were not dangerous.

They tried to make the program without our help and couldnt find the animals. They dove away from the panga fleet and really didint see much. The reason is that the animals live in Deep sea canyons. If you dont dive in the spots where they are you will not see them. They were trying to produce (and did) a show that shows the animals out to be non-aggressive and then put together a theory based on what they saw and after watching our cuts.

If you notice they are wearing harnesses and cables to the boat, WHY? Well they knew that thats how Scott dove witht he squid. The armor is custom made and they had none.

For some of these film makers they are more interested in selling a show than telling the truth. This is the exact type of problem that we are avoiding. After seeing that show people may think that it is safe to dive with squid as long as its...

NOT AT NIGHT
NOT by THE FLEET
NOT IN REAL DEEP WATER

Well we have tested all of those theorys.....

the attack footage was taken at 1:45 in the after noon at 115feet.
We only take our dive tours in the Day.
We make everyone wear armor or dive the cage.
If you are a solo diver in with the squid you are toast.
We have seen 4ft squid hunting on the shoreline at 9:45am in gonzaga bay about 300 miles to the north in 5 feet of water.

Our concern is that someone will see this show and try to dive with the gentle and missunderstood Humboldt Squid and get killed. Then the public outcry for this mankiller will rage. As it is these animals are killed by the thousands every night. Little is know about the animal, everyone is guessing. We want to bring ecotourism to the industry before the squid get fished out or people dont care about mass killing of them becuase they are "Man Eaters"

Our press on the Squid is different than all of the others becuase our work is "real"
Our opinions on the animal behavior can be backed up by HD footage to be observed by people interested.

If someone watches the Discovery Channel show and then decides to believe the conclusion and then decides to go diving with the Humboldt Squid they will be in for a big surprise. If they get hurt it will bring bad press for the animal, as it hurt a tourist instead of a fisherman. :shakehead

We are cutting another trailer because of the questions posed on this board. The video is done and I truly believe all of you will like it very much. The new trailer will be geared more to the conservation side of things and not so hollywood.

It will be a few days before its ready.

GTB
www.sea-wolves.com
:eyebrow:

I saw the Discovery show and yes, even towards the begining an agenda seemed to be forming. The final statements of it being a missunderstood beast came accross as Hollywood and naive.

However the bloodthirsty killer label seems a bit too much.

I would someday like to do this dive.

I just watched your clip, and the videography is amazing! Really great job. I think the sound is what adds that jaws comparison. If you put it to ballet music, the effect would be quite different.

The videography is still amazing. Very nice job.

Patti

all i get is a picture of the ocean with a player at the bottom, but no video.

Ok everyone, heres the final update....

Tomorrow at 8:00pm we will be showing this documentary for FREE at the Pacific Theater in Hollywood. there are 1000 seats so bring all of your friends. If you are in the Los Angeles area its a great way to spend a tuesday night. We have incorporated some of the comments we got from this board into the actual show, now is our time to show it.

This is the only documentary that I know of that accurately shows the feeding behavior of the Giant Humboldt Squid on Krill, Each other, and Divers......:confused:

It also goes over how armor was developed and ecotourism established as a result.

For more info check this link

http://www.seaofdemons.com

Remember its a FREE showing!

Hope to see alot of people there.

GTB
www.sea-wolves.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom