- Messages
- 54,274
- Reaction score
- 8,401
- # of dives
- 500 - 999
Unconscious wreck diver rescued
A wreck diver ran out of air and was pulled unconscious out of the ocean off Mission Beach Saturday, officials said.
The 35-year-old man regained consciousness by the time lifeguards brought him to shore. Medics took him to a trauma center, spokesman Lee Swanson said.
The diver had been out in Wreck Alley, about two miles off Mission Beach and Pacific Beach, with a Waterhorse Charters commercial dive boat, the Humboldt, officials said.
The company’s website shows that a dive on the Yukon, a Canadian Mackenzie-Class destroyer, was scheduled from 3-7 p.m. Swanson said the diver may have been at the nearby Ruby E, a sunken Coast Guard cutter.
Lifeguards received a distress call from the Humboldt and went to assist around 6 p.m. They were told the diver ran out of air at the bottom of the dive and his partner helped him buddy-breathe to the surface.
No update on the man’s condition was available.