Humber bay park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would personally not want to make a dive anywhere along the shoreline without a flag. It is very shallow....when I dive Coronoation Park I slowly make my way out for 40 minutes and hit 17 feet...WOOHOO!!! :D Next time I dive here I think I will surface swim for a ways assuming no boat traffic and then swim out faster. I believe Humber Bay is deeper (not from experience yet) but there will be a lot more boat traffic given the marina right there. Doing this dive would be safer for most divers (IMO) in the earlier spring and later fall (reduced boat traffic). This can be confirmed by somebody who has experience here.

Anyways, I do not believe any divers should be going out from shore (especially newer divers) without a flag. All ascents should be made at the flag because my experience with boaters in Southern Ontario is they either are ignorant of, or choose to ignore the dive flag meaning.

Thanks Steve, I think I will have to get a flag :)

No problem. From my experience, do not get one of the inflatable ones because they make life very difficult (too buoyant and too much surface area in contact with the water surface) when there is the least bit of chop which happens often enough around here to be an issue.

This gives you an idea of what I personally recommend. Get whatever you feel comfortable with, but I made the inflatable mistake first. Oops.

http://www.tridentdive.com/floatsflags.pdf

Search for DF26 in the linked PDF above for an example of the flag pole

Then make sure you get a flag that is wire reinforced so it stays visible. I purchased mine at Oakville Divers and got a fair deal.

I would personally not want to make a dive anywhere along the shoreline without a flag. It is very shallow....when I dive Coronoation Park I slowly make my way out for 40 minutes and hit 17 feet...WOOHOO!!! :D Next time I dive here I think I will surface swim for a ways assuming no boat traffic and then swim out faster. I believe Humber Bay is deeper (not from experience yet) but there will be a lot more boat traffic given the marina right there. Doing this dive would be safer for most divers (IMO) in the earlier spring and later fall (reduced boat traffic). This can be confirmed by somebody who has experience here.

Anyways, I do not believe any divers should be going out from shore (especially newer divers) without a flag. All ascents should be made at the flag because my experience with boaters in Southern Ontario is they either are ignorant of, or choose to ignore the dive flag meaning.

Humber Bay can be an interesting dive. I've done it about 100 + times. Because most of the bay is protected from points on the east and west and the park (underwater sites) are in between the two not many boats venture in the bay itself.

There are lines that run from about 30 feet off the beach along the eastern point and towards the culverts if you hang a right.

I don't know many people that use floats there. But that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a good idea if you are new to the area.

Most of us drop on the line right at the beach and follow the lines out towards the culverts and lighthouse point and then double back around. Usually a leisurely 40min dive.

Max depth is somewhere around 40-43 feet depending on how deep you stick your computer in the mud. :)

It's a great place to hang out and meet new divers and just fine tune your skills.

Hope you enjoy the dive.

Dive safe,

Jeff

Thanks a lot for the info Jeff.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Jeff, We dove last Thursday, I kinda liked the place. The conditions are great for practicing navigation and polish different skills like you said. Sure it will replace my weekly winter pool for that purpose during the following months.

The water was 41F and we felt pretty comfortable, I got my fingertips a bit frozen after 40 mins in the water but overall it was a great dive.

Thanks Jeff, We dove last Thursday, I kinda liked the place. The conditions are great for practicing navigation and polish different skills like you said. Sure it will replace my weekly winter pool for that purpose during the following months.

The water was 41F and we felt pretty comfortable, I got my fingertips a bit frozen after 40 mins in the water but overall it was a great dive.

I am surprised at 41 degrees this early in the year. That is impressive and I am anxious to see what the temps are later in the month (I just finally got around to sending my gear in for service so I am without for a couple of weeks :shakehead:).

No worries Elan, glad you guys had fun. HBPW is a great location and when the conditions are right the site is very cool!

My group did a night dive there a couple of years ago during a full moon and the viz was SPECTACULAR! For those of you that dive the site viz is usually in the 10' range. We were at the culverts and could actually see the moon.

My buddy Dwaine and I turned off our lights and just hung out and watched the other 4 divers explore the depths. We could see everyone perfectly.

One of my favorite dives ever...and I lived and worked in Cayman... :D

dive safe all,

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom