Hull Cleaning South FL.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seriously, where is the update on this?

My guess is he failed miserably or gave up on the idea and is embarrassed to respond. Not trying to bash. I sort of had the same plan, although not nearly as far fetched. Sorry guy, but your plan is just a little out there. I would have been happy to do it just part time, with even just a handful of clients just to make a few extra $$$.

Well, even my modest little dream was crushed today, when walking through the sailing club parking I saw this. To say there's competition in South Florida is an understatement. Good luck competing with this!

Hmm...maybe Captain Walt is hiring?

Attachments

• competition.JPG
    competition.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 172
Well, even my modest little dream was crushed today, when walking through the sailing club parking I saw this. To say there's competition in South Florida is an understatement. Good luck competing with this!
Did you actually think there would be no competition? Did you think that in-water hull cleaning was a concept you invented? Is your dream really "crushed" because you saw a bakery van that had a dive service phone number on it? Get real- this is a frickin' industry that has been in existence for decades! If you really thought you were going to walk onto an empty playing field, then you were deluding yourself.

If you were psyched-out by the appearance of a competitor's work truck, then maybe starting a small business is not for you. But if you feel you can do the work and provide boaters with good service for a reasonable price, I say "Go for it." But don't assume that no one has beat you to the punch, because they have. There is nothing new under sun, hull cleaning included. Yes, there is lots of competition. But that doesn't mean you can't be successful too.

There are several good size hull cleaning businesses down here that hire divers and there are hundreds working out of the trunk of their car. The guy that does the boats in my dockage works out of his trunk. He does three boats here on a regular basis.

Of course I didn't think there would be no competition!!!

People have said over and over that there's competition, especially down here. It's SE FL, there's a billion boats! Of course there's competition! But I was still a little surprised when I saw a GIANT van full of gear. I've never seen that before (for hull cleaning anyway), not even in the time I lived in 2 huge marinas up North.

There is always "something" new under the sun. Just not hull cleaning included.

Thanks Dennis. Yeah I guess I forgot for a minute that there's real people boats down here, and then the marina next door is filled 100' + multimillion dollar things. So obviously there's going to be big companies along with one man ops.

Of course I didn't think there would be no competition!!!
Hey, you don't need to get excited. You said that your plan to earn money hull cleaning had been ruined by the simple appearance of a competing company. If you actually meant something else by that statement, excuse me for misinterpreting. Not a mind reader, dude.

That being said, I would hope that instead of the (apparently) successful competition scaring you away, that you would instead see it as an indicator of the potential to earn in the area. The boat maintenance biz is full of flakes and losers. Conduct your business in a professional manner and you will already be head and shoulders above most of the rest of the competition.

Yeah I guess I forgot for a minute that there's real people boats down here, and then the marina next door is filled 100' + multimillion dollar things. So obviously there's going to be big companies along with one man ops.
The size of the boat and the size of the company servicing it have no correlation. You can clean a mega-yacht every bit as well as "Capt Walt". And I guarantee Capt Walt's bread and butter is 30' sailboats.

Sorry!

I appreciate your bluntness, but you do come off a little condescending sometimes. Although I guess I can be a sarcastic smart ass. I was just exaggerating, but still a little surprised.

Just got down here so still need to get settled, but already have a possible connection. Not for hull cleaning, but for other small time pseudo commercial dive work. And a few other non-diving ideas I'm working on.

The size of the boat and the size of the company servicing it have no correlation. You can clean a mega-yacht every bit as well as "Capt Walt". And I guarantee Capt Walt's bread and butter is 30' sailboats.
Really! I thought you said all us 30' boat owners were bums with no money.

Seriously though while a smaller op can do it just as good, is a larger Capt Walt type of company more likely to get those bigger gigs?

And I have to ask, even though I'm dreading the responses. Ever hear anything about hull cleaners getting attacked by bull sharks down here? I'm googling and finding nothing, but some old timer told me he knows like 5 guys that have been bitten. Although, he could have also meant over the course of the 30+ years he's been in the marine business.

Sorry!

I appreciate your bluntness, but you do come off a little condescending sometimes. Although I guess I can be a sarcastic smart ass. I was just exaggerating, but still a little surprised.
Well, if I did sound condescending, I apologize. But your reaction to a competitor's truck surprised me. I just hope you don't let the realization that there are others who are apparently better established in the hull cleaning biz than you are keep you from trying your hand at it.

Really! I thought you said all us 30' boat owners were bums with no money.
I believe what I said was the all boaters are the cheapest SOBs on the planet. No reference to boat size. :D

Seriously though while a smaller op can do it just as good, is a larger Capt Walt type of company more likely to get those bigger gigs?
Success or failure in this industry is largely based on reputation. So assuming that Capt Walt's company has been around awhile, does quality work, advertises efectively and has good contacts in the local boating community, then yes, they are more likely to get the big jobs than a one-man band just starting out. But it's not because they are a bigger outfit (assuming they actually are a bigger outfit) or because they have a pretty van to drive around in. It's because they've put in the time and paid their dues.

Not to worry. That always has been the problem with the interewebs. Sometimes hard to read/understand what someone is really saying with just text.

Not at all. Maybe not hull cleaning specifically, but I'm definitely ready for a change and for doing something that will have me out on the water instead of plopped in front of a computer all day. I have a few ideas up my sleeve, and a possible connection or two to make obtaining them easier.

Back
Top Bottom