Hull cleaners- post your gadgets!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...help an old man out, what is CPDA & BMP?

We sometimes used the brushes on fiberglass bottom pleasure craft, I don't recall there being a problem, except one catamaran had anti-fouling paint that was the same color as hydraulic fluid and we got into a panic shutting the pump down….so yeah, if a boat has anti fouling paint, the brush is not a good idea.

c

CPDA = California Professional Divers Association

BMP = Best Management Practice

What I mean to say is that brush carts can be safely used on boats with anti fouling paint, provided the right brush is being used and the operator is experienced and knows what he is doing.

now is that per foot of boat length or square foot of haul area?
For me, it's length on deck (LOD). Some boat owners expect you to charge by waterline length (WLL) which is always shorter, and I tell those geniuses that they're delusional. :D I wish I was charging by the square foot of hull area (or wetted surface), but the owners wouldn't know what the number was, in most cases. No, LOD is best because it is usually an easy number to know (most boat model names include the length, i.e. "Catalina 36") and since some boats of a given length have more wetted surface to clean than others of the same length, I want to make sure the tables are stacked in my favor.

Yup... and if someone complains about the cost of having the bottom cleaned, let them see what it costs to have the topside washed and waxed!

Back
Top Bottom