HUGE 844 pound shark caught out of Destin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
Fisherman lands record 844-pound shark

DESTIN, Fla. - Six friends went to a fishing tournament looking to catch some grouper. They caught an 844-pound shark instead.

c29f5faf32ef417cbd4cef9426e.jpg

The fight by Adlee Bruner and friends to pull the 11-foot mako shark onto the boat from the Gulf of Mexico took more than an hour on Saturday. But when they made it back to land, it was a record for the decades-old Destin Fishing Rodeo.

"It was tense," Bruner, 47, said about the fight to land the shark, which has a mouthful of huge, fearsome teeth. "I've fished for 40 years. I've never see one that big."

Bruner and his fishing buddies were on a 52-foot charter boat with Capt. Robert Hill, about 70 miles southwest of this beach city in the Florida Panhandle.

The fishermen first noticed the big mako because it kept eating grouper and scamp they had hooked.

"It was like 'Jaws,'" Hill said.

Hill hooked a two-foot amberine on as bait and tossed it out. The shark eventually hit it.

After the long fight, the shark was gaffed and eventually gave up after its tail was roped. But even then, the men could not get the big shark in the boat. They tied it to the stern with three ropes and made the four-hour trip back to land.

The shark was hoisted at the rodeo before a big crowd. It tipped the scale at 844.4 pounds.

After it was gutted, the mako still weighed 638 pounds, breaking the tournament's previous shark division record by 338 pounds

I hope the damned thing gets carved up and eaten.

Hard to replace apex predator and mating specimen, I hope it doesn't go to complete waste...

I heard, but don't know for sure that they were disqualified because they had to get assistance to get the fish in by another boat. Can you imagine that thing swimming by. Oh My @#% Word! Talk about washing out your wetsuit!

Don't want to go diving in the panhandle anymore !:11:

I heard, but don't know for sure that they were disqualified because they had to get assistance to get the fish in by another boat. Can you imagine that thing swimming by. Oh My @#% Word! Talk about washing out your wetsuit!

I wondered how they got that thing in the boat...

they were pretty far out according to one report I read. To far out to bring it in "old man in the sea" style.

(personally I wouldn't have considered another boat 'yard arm' helping getting it in the boat after they got it up and gaff'd it as disqualified, but I guess it is...

I hope the damned thing gets carved up and eaten.

Hard to replace apex predator and mating specimen, I hope it doesn't go to complete waste...

I agree. These are too few and far between to go to waste.

I would have loved to see that beauty swim by. Guess thats not going to happen now. They should have at least been sporting about it and not stood on a nice safe fishing boat, Get in and spear it.

Yeah. I've seen it before. No big deal. If you look close on the starboardside gill, you'll see where my spear took hold almost a foot from the last gill. I hated to, but I had to do it. He was going after someone who hired me to tour the Oriskany, so I had to do what I had to do. You know...no big deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom