Hudson Florida diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

superstar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greatings everyone in the Tampa Bay Area,
I will be visiting the in-laws in Hudson at the end of April and would like to do some diiving. My short list includes a gulf charter, diving Weeki Wachee, and snorkeling with the manatees.
What are the dive sites in the gulf like, wrecks, reefs, shallow, deep, drift dive, visibility, easy-advanced dives, etc.???
Is Wet Yet/captain Earl the top charter in Hudson? does he do 2-tank dives, when does he go out, morning, afternoon, weekdays???
I will be needing to rent tanks, Is Scuba West the place to go??
My 11 year old daughter is working on her jr open water. She has 3 logged ocean dives and needs more quality training. Is there any dive instructors in Hudson that likes teaching kids?? Do I get an instructor at Scuba West??
Can I snorkel dive with the Manatees at Weeki Wachee or should I go north to Crystal River and do the pontoon boat charter??
Thanks

Earl is the man - especially in Hudson! For an instructor Bob is the man I'd recommend. Here is his profile on the board, just shoot him a pm: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/members/bob.html

I was going to say skip Weeki Wachee, it is incredibly boring, especially for what they charge, but since you have your daughter with you - she may enjoy.

As for the manatees - that is a must do! Look in my sig for "The Third Annual Snorkel with the Manatees". In the first post of that thread, you will find a number to Bird's Underwater, give them a shout. No matter who you choose, steer clear of American Pro Diving. Too, too often we hear complaints on them. Someone else here, I think IDive, knows of a mom and pop operation up there. Hopefully they will chime in since I can't remember the name.

As for the gulf; you are going to find just about everything except drift diving. The reefs here aren't nearly as spectacular as south FL just so you know but there is still lots to see. I'll let the others expand more on this subject.

If you charter with Earl/WetYet; you will need four to make the trip a go. Might I suggest you set a day with him and post a thread here for others to join? Earl is right down the road from ScubaWest - so yes I'd get my tanks there.

Good luck! :)

Someone else here, I think IDive, knows of a mom and pop operation up there. Hopefully they will chime in since I can't remember the name.
Good luck! :)

All I know of is the Crystal Lodge Dive Center. I honestly don't have any opinion on them. I only know of them because a private instructor I got certified with used their store for a table and rented boats from them. They are right next to the Best Western. But, I do agree, avoid American Pro like the plague unless you don't mind being treated rudely and receiving crappy customer service in general...

Greatings everyone in the Tampa Bay Area,
I will be visiting the in-laws in Hudson at the end of April and would like to do some diiving. My short list includes a gulf charter, diving Weeki Wachee, and snorkeling with the manatees.
What are the dive sites in the gulf like, wrecks, reefs, shallow, deep, drift dive, visibility, easy-advanced dives, etc.???
Is Wet Yet/captain Earl the top charter in Hudson? does he do 2-tank dives, when does he go out, morning, afternoon, weekdays???
I will be needing to rent tanks, Is Scuba West the place to go??
My 11 year old daughter is working on her jr open water. She has 3 logged ocean dives and needs more quality training. Is there any dive instructors in Hudson that likes teaching kids?? Do I get an instructor at Scuba West??
Can I snorkel dive with the Manatees at Weeki Wachee or should I go north to Crystal River and do the pontoon boat charter??
Thanks

Scuba West is a great shop, good people. Weeki Wachee is currently closed to diving. I talked to Chris, the dive coordinator at Weeki just last week and he doesn't know how long it will be closed to divers. Some kind of bureaucratic red tape. :shakehead:
:palmtree: Bob

Scuba West is a great shop, good people. Weeki Wachee is currently closed to diving. I talked to Chris, the dive coordinator at Weeki just last week and he doesn't know how long it will be closed to divers. Some kind of bureaucratic red tape. :shakehead:
:palmtree: Bob

I didn't know that, not that I'd be diving there anyway. Guess you learn something every day :wink:

The Crystal Lodge Dive Center is a GREAT place to rent pontoon boats fairly cheaply. I have done this on two different occasions and had a great time both times. They have a little "dont molest" the manattee talk and provide you with a map of the river so you can find the dive spots.

Adventure Dive is in Crystal River too and the one trip I did with them was very good as well.

I dont have any experience with Birds other than some tech questions EXPERTLY answered over the phone! Many other dive shops didnt even know what I was asking about.

The gulf trips in this area (Pasco, Hernando counties) are LONG. Expect to travel 15-30 miles to dives sites. Not many wrecks here, most are ledges. There are some barges and army tanks but because the water is so shallow there really isnt enought water to sink a decent wreck. The general rule of thumb is 1mile = 1.5' deep! (Pinellas county to the south is deeper/better for wreck diving)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom