http://www.white-bluedive.com/

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zippsy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Does anyone up in Phuket know what happened to dive shop called White & Blue Harmony that used to be up there? (www.white-bluedive.com - Home WARNING, I AM NOW GETTING SOME SORT OF VIRUS WARNING WHEN LOOKING AT THIS SITE) The website does not look like it has been updated in a while and recently their boat showed up sailing out of Singapore. No problem with that but a couple weeks ago were photgraphed dropping divers with spear guns on top of a wreck that had limited (5m) viz and a bunch of tech divers from the Black Manta already underwater on the wreck. I know spear fishing is a lot more common / accepted in other parts of the world but I'm pretty sure they are illegal in Singapore. More importantly, divers here would obviously get a little spooked to swim around the bow of a wreck and come face-to-face with a spear. We tried to contact the company but got no response. It's possible they sold the boat and the new owners got to the sporting goods store before they found the boat paint.

Last edited:
Thai company, up and running. Run by a very nice and responsible guy, but maybe too nice, giving his staff too much leeway to do what they want to do.

Which boat was that though a couple of weeks ago, because their main boat is here in Phuket.

Thanks Steven. It was the PP Harmony dropping divers (including at least two with spear guns) onto the Maritime Fidelity wreck off the southeastern tip of mainland Malaysia. The website for Blue-White and the boat's name was clearly seen on the side of the boat (at least in the close-ups). (http://finsonline.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2000&stc=1&d=1248409457)

I am confused now though. I just looked at their website again. When I looked at it last night, I swore it had a 2007 schedule. Now it shows a 2009-10 schedule. Unfortunately, I am now also getting a virus warning when I look at the site. If I got a virus on my home PC, I'll be almost as pissed off.

No question, that is the PP Harmony, their liveaboard boat.

On their website they have had the new schedule for some time now.

I'm sure the owner will not be too happy with this behaviour, so I will inform him about this.

No problem with that but a couple weeks ago were photgraphed dropping divers with spear guns on top of a wreck that had limited (5m) viz and a bunch of tech divers from the Black Manta already underwater on the wreck. I know spear fishing is a lot more common / accepted in other parts of the world but I'm pretty sure they are illegal in Singapore. More importantly, divers here would obviously get a little spooked to swim around the bow of a wreck and come face-to-face with a spear.

They were a bit out of order there - should have ensured the dive site was empty before spearfishing it (other divers generally spook the fish & there are the obvious safety concerns). Is spearfishing illegal in Singapore? I know one of the main distributors for spearfishing gear in SEA is based there :confused:

Not sure about the legaility. I'll check this weekend. I am sure it is illegal near almost all the Malaysian island dive sites but I should say this incident was outside the protected Marine Parks. I don't think using them there was illegal. Dangerous, yes, but not illegal.

Just had a chat with the owner.

The boat was fully chartered by a group of Singaporeans, who also provided their own guides. They charter the boat every year a couple of times. There was of course a W&B tourleader on the boat.

He will have a word with the tourleader about this, plus he will also have a chat with the group. Provided spearfishing at a specific site is legal and the boat is fully chartered, it is up to the group to decide on these kind of things. However, it must be kept safe of course for both the group and other divers on the divesite.

Thanks Steven. That last sentence is the one most worrying to and appeciated by me.

BTW, I found out the answer to the question about the legality of owning them in Singapore. You need a licence to possess a spear gun here. If you intend to bring it to Malaysia for a fishing trip, you need to obtain export and import licences from the Singapore Licensing Officer. You may also be required to obtain a licence from the Malaysian authorities for importing it there. Sounds like it's fun to deal with. I don't know if these guys went through that or not and that's up to the authorities anyway so I'll sign off. I assume the boat would not be at risk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom