HSA vs. PADI certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MindeeO

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Prior to diving and more recently in response to a previous thread I posted, many people have referenced HSA for resources and training. So, initially when I first looked into becoming a certified diver, I ran across HSA and did not contact them for training. Although I have a disability, there was nothing in the PADI certification that I did not think I could do (and PADI does allow for modification, if needed). So I am now well on my way with PADI, but I still get asked why I am not doing HSA certification and I am left to wonder why I would...

I am unsure what the advantages of the HSA certification might be given that there appears to be no level for independent diving (not to imply that I would like to go alone- just not sure why I would always need a “trained” dive buddy). Furthermore, despite my disability (T12 SCI), I have had no probs with a "regular" certification.

Here is what I read about the HSA levels:
For instance, if you're a Level A diver, you're certified to dive with one other person; a Level B diver must dive with two other able-bodied divers and a Level C diver not only requires two dive buddies, but one must be trained in diver rescue. The third member of the buddy team is not there to further assist the B or C Level diver; they are there to ensure the safety of the A Level or above diver that cannot be assisted by the B or C Level diver. (From HSA Non-Members)​

I wonder if I am misunderstanding the HSA levels. And, if so or if not, what are the advantages of a more restrictive HSA certification for a person with a disability?

Your understanding is similar to mine. B and C-certs allow a dive student who might not otherwise be able to complete a mainstream course to get certified to dive.

As for the A-cert: Sometimes an HSA student starts out going for a B-cert, but finds they qualify for an “unrestricted” A-cert. Since HSA has the A-cert option, they don’t have to then do other training to get a PADI (or other agency) cert.

Your answer to those who ask why you’re not taking the HSA course might simply be: “not necessary”.

Clarification: Whether a PADI, HSA or other agency cert, you will be diving with a trained buddy, not independently. Independent or solo diving should only happen with special training, redundant equipment and lots of buddy diving experience. The “trained” dive buddy of which you speak might refer to circumstances where some divers need a buddy who is specifically trained as an HSA buddy.

Caveat: It’s been several years since I took the HSA instructor course, and I’ve had only limited experience because most folks, like yourself, do just fine in a mainstream course such as PADI.

Last edited:
Yes, I plan to always dive with other certified divers, but not an "HSA trained buddy" unless I'm convinced otherwise. Thanks for the clarification. I am all about independence but that would be taking it to a crazy extreme!

---------- Post added May 23rd, 2012 at 11:16 PM ----------

Anyone else have experience with HSA that can share their opinions?

Hi,

Sorry it took me so long to reply Mindeeo, the internet here on this little island is not always the best.

I can not comment on HSA as i am an IAHD instructor. However its the same idea. As Knotical explained.

Congrats that you could get through regular training, nothing wrong with that. But some people can not. That's where the other organizations come into play. Also the buddy training is about not only diving, its about considerations for people with disabilities. Like, getting on boats, gearing up, weight adjustments (my wife for example has more weight on one side for better balance) lifting and moving people, etc etc.

It gives people the chance that could not get mainstream training due to not meeting the minimum standards to dive with a trained buddy.

If you can safely dive with any certified diver that can help you or you help them in some incident then there is no real need for HSA, IAHD buddy training.

Dont worry about it and just dive!! I know we do.

Mark

Thanks! I thought I was missing something.

So a slight tangent... what little island are you on that your Internet is so limited? I need that limitation. :)

Hi Mindeeo,

Popototan Island, Philippines.

Back
Top Bottom