How's this for a dive boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDMerk

Contributor
Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a dive boat...found a really good deal that I may not be able to pass up.
The boat is a 89 Robalo 26ft center console, has a full tower with controls and a gracious swim platform on the back with two 1997 Johnson Ficht 150hp's.
I know this would make a great fishing boat(thats what its designed for) but how would it fare as a dive platform? Also I have heard questionable things about the Johnsons...anybody have experience with the ficht engines?
92130236_2thumb_550x410.jpg

I would avoid soon-to-be 12-yo FICHT's like the plague. Not wait, I'm plague-resistant now, so take the cannolis and plague and drop the FICHTs. I like the tower though.

Place a bid on it. It is a buyers market now especially for used boats. Bid the boat as if you will need to replace the engines in a couple of years. In other words bid for the hull, trailer and very little for the engines. Price a new single 275 or 300 and get a rough quote for rigging and installation and then give him maybe 10% of the cost of the new engine for the old Johnsons--understand?

Is the fuel cell in that boat poly or aluminum or fiberglass? Modern ethonal/methonal fuels don't play nice with fiberglass fuel tanks and not so good with aluminum either.

Remember, dead of winter, near depression, low ball him on the bid, look over the market close, there may be a newer boat available.

Yes, that would make a good dive boat for fun diving and fishing.

N

Well I can buy the boat for less than the cost of one new 300...are the Johnsons that bad, I would rather work with them if possible. Then again I dont want two turds hanging off the back of my boat either. have either of you had experience with ficht engines?

All I am saying is figure out what the boat is worth, the trailer and other equipment minus engines and to that figure ADD 10 to 30% of the price of a new engine and rigging and that is your offer. If the engines are clean and low time offer the 30% and if they are high time or abused, offer the 10% and if they don't run, they must be free. That is all, I was not saying they were t--ds, Tom may have but I did not.

N

Well I can buy the boat for less than the cost of one new 300
So you're getting this for less than $19K?
These two engines might be ok - but as a product line, the FICHTs were not-so-good - after a long successful history in the outboard business, the FICHT warranty problems killed OMC.
This is an unreal buyer's market right now though. Desperate times lead to some outrageous deals for cash. You ought to be picky about every aspect of this deal - the condition of the boat, the condition of the trailer, them thar FICHTs - it's your show.
There are repair guys on TheHullTruth who can answer outboard questions in much greater detail.
If you get it cheap enough, that might work for you.
Make sure you can trailer that thing with the tower - you hit some untrimmed branches or try to go through the wrong bridge up there and your day will end on a sour note.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom