How's the diving in Cancun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moorman

Reaction score
We are going there next spring and I was wondering if the diving was any good?

If you have been to Cancun and Cozumel, would it be worth the trip to Coz or is the diving nice enough in Cancun - is the extra to Coz worth it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

The reefs in Cancun are nice and have lots of marine life.

What you are missing by not being in Cozumel are the absolutely awesome massive coral formations with swimthroughs and walls. Cozumel dive sites also tend to have less waves and swells since the island blocks the prevailing winds.

I enjoyed diving Cancun while vacationing there with family and friends. For a dive-oriented trip though, Cozumel excels by a large margin.

The Cancun dive shops can set up trips to both Cozumel, and to the cenotes (limestone caves) that further south on the mainland. Do both if you have the time.

That has to be THE best answer to the Cozumel vs. Cancun diving I have seen on these boards yet. I am partial to Cancun because I have been going there so long and have so many friends living there. I enjoy visiting with long time friends as much as I enjoy diving. Why settle for one or the other? Do both! The most fair answer provided is that the diving is different. And Charlie99 gave an excellent fair response. If you are ONLY diving, then maybe Cozumel is the way to go. If you are diving part of the time and want other things to do then maybe Cancun or PDC is your anwswer.

No matter if you are in Cozumel and travel to the mainland or vice versa, it is easy enough to travel between locations. This way you can get a taste of both and have a better idea of which you prefer for your next visit. And regardless of which location you stay, you WILL be back. The whole region is addictive. You'll be counting down the days with the rest of us until your next visit. Don't say you haven't been warned :palmtree:

We use Cancun as a base of operations but travel to Isla Mujeres, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Puerto Morelos, Tulum and even Belize during our stay. So we have a nice variery of diving. Shore dives and boat dives. Salt water and fresh water. Reefs and caverns. Day and night dives. Shallow and deep. With so much to choose from its hard to get bored! I do suggest saving the cenote dives for the days the weather is not cooperating.

Good luck with your decision. Feel free to PM me with questions. Don't be offended if I do not respond back right away. I have to run up to Canada tomorrow for a couple days and will be offline until the middle of next week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom