Hows my BP+Wing setup looking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prepare

Reaction score
Hi guys,

brought a BP and wing awhile ago but went OS and havnt had a chance to use it yet, going for my first dive on it on friday though so just wanted to make sure ive set everything up ok.

I have only put 3 D rings on, 2 shoulder and 1 on left hip. On the left hip one I'll have my reel/spg cliped off.

What can I do with my octo? im currently just using normal length hoses but im not sure what i can do to keep my octo secure, I thought about cliping it off to my left shoulder D ring but figured that would be kinda stupid in a OOA situation if someone grabed for it.

Cheers,

Andrew

But I'd throw a D-ring on the rear of the crotch strap just below the level of your tank(s) and hook your reel off back there when not in use. It's cheap to add and works really well once you get used to it. It also puts the reel below your tanks out of the slipstream instead of off to the side which can also potentially interfere with your gauge checking.

Toss the regular length hoses and bungie your octo on your neck or don't stress about it and hook it off wherever you feel comfortable with it if you are going to continue diving "standard" hoses.

Once you switch to the 7 and 22 you won't want to return though.

Are you opposed to donating your primary reg in an OOA situation? If not you can do as the above post recommends and bungee the back up reg around your neck and donate the reg from your mouth to an OOA diver. Otherwise just get an octo holder and attach it to the right d-ring.

Andrew

Is that a OMS single tank wing? If it is, make sure you let us know how works. I am looking at a similar set-up to what you have.

Brian

Prepare:
I have only put 3 D rings on, 2 shoulder and 1 on left hip. On the left hip one I'll have my reel/spg cliped off.

What can I do with my octo? im currently just using normal length hoses but im not sure what i can do to keep my octo secure, I thought about cliping it off to my left shoulder D ring but figured that would be kinda stupid in a OOA situation if someone grabed for it.

I would go ahead and add the two d-rings to the crotch strap. You probably won't be using a scooter anytime soon, but you might as well have it on there. The butt d-ring can be used to carry reels, but I don't use mine a whole lot.

Wear your backup reg in a necklace under your chin. This way, it will always be right where you need it. Get a 7 foot hose to use as your primary. (You can do a search to learn more...lots of threads on the 7 foot hose.)

If you stay with a short hose and clip the octo to a d-ring, you want to be careful about clipping across the midline as it makes ditching the equipment a little more complex.

In most recreational OOA situations the doner is gong to donate the primary as the donee is most likely going to mug you for it and rip it out of your mouth. This leaves you with unclipping the octo.

My advice on both counts is to get an 1/8" o-ring of suitable diameter to fit snugly around the base of the mouth piece of the reg and use a zip tie to attach a bolt snap to it. That way if you have the time, you can unclip the octo. In on the other hand you need it real bad or if the donee actually grabs for it instead, a sharp tug on the octo will release it immediately. This approach also reduces the clipped aross the mid line problem.

Another option is to switch regulators: put your primary on your longer octopus hose, and your secondary regulator on your shorter hose.

The breath from your primary reg (with the octopus hose) and necklace the octopus (on the short primary hose). This also gives you a bit more room when donating your reg.

steven

I agree with Johnathan Mitchell

Put it (secondary --not "Octo") around your neck via a Bunggie neck strap----Then get a 7 foot hose and put it on your primary--- in an OOA sit donate it (primary) and use your secondary to get out of said situation---

Looks good and welcome to the Dark Side

sndt1319:
Andrew

Is that a OMS single tank wing? If it is, make sure you let us know how works. I am looking at a similar set-up to what you have.

Brian

If this is 45lb OMS wing, than that's what I had with my backplate.. I used it 5 times and sold it on ebay. It is an OK wing, but not as good as the Oxycheq 45lb O-shaped wing.

Also, the curageted hose is way too long.

Andrew, I don't see a crotch strap on those pictures. You'll need a crotch strap. If you don't have one, I can send you an OMS crotch strap.

Back
Top Bottom