Howe Sound Bioherms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sintax604

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Here is an interesting article on bioherms in our area. I didn't know stuff like this was out there until I had a good chat with the author about them. The article is written for a non-diving audience (it was originally published in the Lions Bay newspaper) so forgive the over-the-top diving narrative but the info and pics are pretty cool.

Attachments

• bioherm Lions Bay.pdf
    117.7 KB · Views: 153
Interesting article Scott. Did the author tell you where the lions bay bioherm was located?

Of the 3 known (so far) bioherms, only the exact location of the Halkett Point one has been made public. The others are being kept hush hush by the aquarium while they study them.

The published info is here: http://www.springerlink.com/content/hv3m800t3167g435

That is a very cool read. How did you come across the info and/or meet the author?

Here is an interesting article on bioherms in our area. I didn't know stuff like this was out there until I had a good chat with the author about them. The article is written for a non-diving audience (it was originally published in the Lions Bay newspaper) so forgive the over-the-top diving narrative but the info and pics are pretty cool.

That is a very cool read. How did you come across the info and/or meet the author?

Glen builds, installs and maintains the public mooring buoys in Howe Sound and is a longtime member of the Underwater Council of BC. I've been out diving/working with him a few times. Finding/diving the bioherm is one of his favorite stories to tell.

Of the 3 known (so far) bioherms, only the exact location of the Halkett Point one has been made public. The others are being kept hush hush by the aquarium while they study them.

The published info is here: SpringerLink - Journal Article

Is it me or the coordinates in the abstract look wonky?
49.34.67 N, 123.16.26 W
If it's in degree/mins/secs, there is no such thing as 67 seconds. Mins and secs only go up to 60. Is it referring to decimal mins? If so, isn't it more conventional to go to secs before you go decimal?

In any case, the coordinates don't seem to be very close to Halkett Bay (I assume Halkett Pt is adjacent to Halkett Bay). The coordinates would seem to be more from across Furry Creek. See attachment.

Attachments

• Picture3.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 137
A lot of GPS' use this DM format with integer degrees and decimal minutes. I plotted the co-ordinates with my GPS and came up with the same location you did. Porteau cove is the ideal boat launch for getting to this site.

I guess we'll have to launch a boat from Porteau to find out if its actually there or closer to Halkett... I'm out on a tradeshow this weekend. How about the last weekend of May?

I don't know about the last weekend in May but this sounds like a good dive to charter the Sea Dragon for if six divers wanted to go in together.

Back
Top Bottom