How young is too young?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This would be more about letting her experience the joy of looking at things underwater while being able to breathe. I fully intend on this being a babysitting experience. I would be watching for any spit out of a regulator or any other stress signs.

I found her wearing my mask the other day and she told me she was a scuba diver. I'm pretty sure she might be into this.

They're awfully cute when they do that. My friend's daughter, Christine, wants to be a scuba diver ...

Christine.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... does anyone see a problem with her using a regulator (ON THE SURFACE WITH NO POSSIBILITY OF GOING BELOW)? I am thinking of either in the pool or on a shallow snorkeling trip where she is wearing a life jacket, either goggles or a mask and fins. She could breathe off of my long hose and I WOULD BE ON THE SURFACE WITH HER...
What you're describing is essentially Supplied Air Snorkeling.
See for example:
Supplied Air Snorkeling Debuts
That article suggests a minimum age of 5.

My kids have both been snorkling since they were about 4 years old. They regularly go on dive boats with us and snorkle during the surface interval. They both went to jellyfish lake in Palau when my Daughter was 5, and my Son was 7. They're 6 and 8 now.
They get a lot of enjoyment from snorkling, no point in rushing them into diving. Just get them in the water as snorklers.

-Mitch

Attachments

• 26245_1328411804380_1053501050_30912372_2970382_n.jpg
    26245_1328411804380_1053501050_30912372_2970382_n.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 26245_1328411604375_1053501050_30912367_612032_n.jpg
    26245_1328411604375_1053501050_30912367_612032_n.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 26245_1328411844381_1053501050_30912373_3106474_n.jpg
    26245_1328411844381_1053501050_30912373_3106474_n.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 44
You know to little about it to do it.

I fully admit to being overly enthusiastic, so if someone can point out why this would be dangerous or make me a bad parent, please do so.

If you don't have the proper experience/training to deal with an untrained diver, I would highly recommend that you NOT do this. The fact that it is your daughter could cloud your judgement even more.

What you're describing is essentially Supplied Air Snorkeling.
See for example:
Supplied Air Snorkeling Debuts
That article suggests a minimum age of 5.

PADI's SASY program has a minimum age of 5 as well. It's foolproof. The tank is built into the tiny BCD. Assuming it fits the child reasonably well, the child cannot go below the surface.

For clarification, PADI does "bubblemakers" and "seal team" down to 6 feet in a pool for children of 8 years old, accompanied by an adult. For children 10-11 years of age they have "junior open water" which limits them to 40 feet and diving with a dive pro or parent and ages 13-14 have "junior open water" for depths to 40 feet diving with a certified adult.

Padi=Jr OW up to 40 ft; Jr AOW=up to 75 feet. I really try to stick to these guidelines.

Both of these posts need further clarification!

Bubblemaker is...

PADI:
Also available as an open water experience (2 metres/ 6 feet max. depth)

The kids in Bubblemaker are not "accompanied by an adult." They get to...

PADI:
Experience what scuba diving is like under the direct care and supervision of PADI Instructors

Seal Team's web page states that it...

PADI:
Is conducted by certified, trained PADI Professionals

According to my '08 PADI Digital Instructor Manual, kids age 10-11 may become Jr. Adventure Divers, by completing 3 Adventure Dives not exceeding 40' max depth. Kids age 13-14 may become Jr Adventure Divers or Jr Advanced Open Water Divers with training dives not exceeding 70' max depth.

Since I have had no Jr. students lately I have not accessed the new Instructor Manual with regards to Jr. divers, but I have not heard of any changes in these Standards for Jr. divers.

halemanō;5608363:
According to my '08 PADI Digital Instructor Manual, kids age 10-11 may become Jr. Adventure Divers, by completing 3 Adventure Dives not exceeding 40' max depth. Kids age 13-14 may become Jr Adventure Divers or Jr Advanced Open Water Divers with training dives not exceeding 70' max depth.

Junior adventure divers have already completed their junior open water certification. It is a more advanced certification. They cannot do the full AOW because of depth restrictions.

I am told I will have a 10 year old student in my class this weekend. I just did a bubblemaker with my 8-year old grandson. I have a seal team class Friday evening.

If you don't have the proper experience/training to deal with an untrained diver, I would highly recommend that you NOT do this. The fact that it is your daughter could cloud your judgement even more.

"untrained diver"? If you read my original post I mentioned my daughter being on the surface and in a life jacket - not a bc. I want to have my daughter float or swim on the surface while breathing with a regulator.

FWIW - she has tried out the regulator in my dining room. I may try her out in the bath tub this week.

As I posted previously, my only real concerns would be: (1) the child accidentally going too deep; and (2) entanglement in hoses resulting in panic.

If your daughter wore a lifejacket and breathed off a pony bottle (which you carried in your hand) which had only a single air source and you were in water where you could stand I would not be able to find any objection to the situation.

Back
Top Bottom