HOW YOU CAN HELP...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Chairman,

It appears that the link you provided above for an instructor directory is no longer supported. I found this link:

But this shows only six programs. I am looking into becoming an instructor, but am still unsure of whether to pursue it. I am a NAUI instructor (NAUI #2710), and it appears that I would easily start again with NAUI. I also have some ideas for better techniques for divers with disabilities. I also have one fellow who would probably qualify, who while having no physical disabilities, does have some developmental issues.

Anyway, thanks for opening this up a bit, as DiveHeart seems to have completely dominated this forum.

John C. Ratliff
SeaRat

@John C. Ratliff

I've gone through DDI's instructor training which was great, and an eye opening experience. I'm going to redo all that training when I open my dive center, as I'd like to serve that demographic as I feel they are underserved in Europe (at least Greece).

‘Chairman’ as well as ‘SeaRat’
….good to see you here as well. As I age, I have had a few issues come to mind. I most likely ‘don’t’ fit the description as a ‘challenged‘ diver but as I have a few issues affecting me physically so, i have self-imposed limitations that I need to work with as I get back into a more frequent diving routine. First, I have Afib, that I take Rxs for. I have for years and have successfully dived with this condition. I am also completely blind from an unusual kind of glaucoma in my left eye only. …why I now prefer the larger single-window masks for better vision. Now I am being treated for a mild Myasthenia Gravis which has affected my tongue but has been reversed with medication. It doesn’t affect my breathing according to ‘fit-tests’ I have to perform for work as I use respirators for bridge rehab inspection as well as pulmonary tests for this condition. I have visited some dive medicine forums but don’t seem to find what I am looking for as well as The Mayo Clinic that I log on for the Myasthenia Gravis information. I do have some limb weakness and slow weight loss, prompting my limitations despite my every-other-day gym workouts. It helps but not the answer. My Rx regimen will reverse a great deal of my issues over time. …quite a complex combination of things I must consider as I slowly re-emerge into sport diving, especially with working vintage gear. I will also experience lower tolerance to air and water temperature extremes as well even in a wetsuit.

Another aspect I want to explore is working once again assisting instructors with students who want to dive but have limiting abilities as well. I have in the past been called a ‘patient‘ assistant, looking and listening to ‘students’ who are learning to dive by instructors I have worked with. Now, with my limitations I feel that I can ‘relate’. Does this look like a possible ‘niche’ for me once I retire in 3-4 years depending on my physical progress?

Please respond as I am moving forward with my return into sport diving, albeit somewhat limited, and regaining a newfound confidence with the sport I Love.

giantfroginthepool
Scott G. Bonser, PADI DM since ‘84.

Scott,

'Good to hear from you, and congratulations on continuing your diving experiences. I have developed several pieces of gear that could help, but are not on the market. I'll show them to you via message later this week.

Your "giantfroginthepool" analogy is great! We'll take up discussing next steps here too. Below is the Para-Sea BC concept I developed in the 1980s, and still use, but which no manufacturer decided to commercialize.

John
SeaRat

Attachments

• ParaSea1.jpg
    ParaSea1.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Para-Sea BC Drawings.jpeg
    Para-Sea BC Drawings.jpeg
    59.3 KB · Views: 38
Scott,

'Good to hear from you, and congratulations on continuing your diving experiences. I have developed several pieces of gear that could help, but are not on the market. I'll show them to you via message later this week.

Your "giantfroginthepool" analogy is great! We'll take up discussing next steps here too. Below is the Para-Sea BC concept I developed in the 1980s, and still use, but which no manufacturer decided to commercialize.

John
SeaRat
Thanks for the response, John, …..Para-Sea BC. 🤔 Cool Beans. Low profile, indeed but has just what I need to adjust to my changing physical conditions. I had my wt. belt adjusted back in Sept. 22. This year my B Y pool just collapsed, T G w/o me in there checking out gear or target shooting w/modified-point spearguns.( …Yeah, I am a ‘dive nut’ ..) ..where is Americas Funniest Home videos…seriously, NOT funny as something could have caused quite an injury if I was in there. I’m blessed.👍

I like the design as it looks to preserve the Vintage diving experience w/o needing to have ‘various’ belts adj to salt water, fresh water, full or partial wetsuit, etc. and it’s not ‘all-enveloping’ making U/W tasks easy to perform like hull inspection, pool inspection, pier inspection. …(know any divers that have done these kind of dives?…🤣) definitely not logged and (gasp) no ‘buddy’ with me on most occasions…just surface support.

Yeah, I would call non-BCD double-hose dives my ‘Fun-Dives’ if I wasn’t shooting macro pics on a reef. …again, I digress…

John, you have piqued my interest…please send me more of these pics, and drawings. Ray, my Repair bench ‘buddy’ in Virginia Beach has some possible links to folks who may be able to produce these on a limited basis…that is if I can get them to respond. They are somewhat ‘guarded’ with what they do. I have been trying to see if they have someone to replace ‘O’-rings and repressurize some of my vintage pneumo spearguns that leak air. No response to this yet …AirTech SCUBA out of Raleigh. I am trying to avoid an oily-mess on my kitchen counter at home…also repair bench for me.
Scott G. Bonser
giantfroginthepool

Attachments

• IMG_0418.jpeg
    IMG_0418.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0474.jpeg
    IMG_0474.jpeg
    44.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0745.jpeg
    IMG_0745.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 46
I've done a lot of testing of the Para-Sea BC and the Para-Sea PFD (I have one I use canoeing) concept. Below is a photo of me some 20 years ago in my 18 foot Sundowner canoe on the North Umpqua River.

The whole concept was to have a BC/PFD which was front mount, but which would not ride up on the person. In the water, it will float an unconscious person face-up. A person with disabilities could control his/her orientation in the water with only head movements too.

Both the Para-Sea BC and PFD would be fairly easy to put together, but three is a harness which is fairly complex for the making. I had a firm called Pack Trails, who made outdoor equipment, put it together for me. The bladder was made by a BCD manufacturer, and they had to hand-make it, as making it from a pattern would cost to get that pattern made (something to put the sheet vinyl through to seal the edges).

SeaRat

Attachments

• John & Canoe.jpg
    John & Canoe.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 31
  • ParaSea BC Diagrams.jpg
    ParaSea BC Diagrams.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Para-Sea PFD #1 PC.jpg
    Para-Sea PFD #1 PC.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 33
I've done a lot of testing of the Para-Sea BC and the Para-Sea PFD (I have one I use canoeing) concept. Below is a photo of me some 20 years ago in my 18 foot Sundowner canoe on the North Umpqua River.

The whole concept was to have a BC/PFD which was front mount, but which would not ride up on the person. In the water, it will float an unconscious person face-up. A person with disabilities could control his/her orientation in the water with only head movements too.

Both the Para-Sea BC and PFD would be fairly easy to put together, but three is a harness which is fairly complex for the making. I had a firm called Pack Trails, who made outdoor equipment, put it together for me. The bladder was made by a BCD manufacturer, and they had to hand-make it, as making it from a pattern would cost to get that pattern made (something to put the sheet vinyl through to seal the edges).

SeaRat
John, I just received an e-mail from you I believe. That is my only e-mail connection. I usually respond in a timely manner when I get them. I will be driving on the interstate a lot on Sunday 7/30/23 so my response may be somewhat delayed.

Yes, by all means I would like to read your write-up re; bouyanay compensation. Send any other info you may have as well.

I also noted on your diver pic the center of gravity on the diver. This is the most comfortable ‘ neutral bouyancy’ position for me on a dive. Please let me know if you got a reply with my contact info on it OK.
Scott B.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom