How would you--

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SPG3K,

I'm sure my comments came across as final, but that is what is fact in the real world of photography these days. I have many friends who now cannot get fine grain slide film processed unless they mail it away. Plus they don't even know if they got decent photos on their trip until it's processed :( Virtually no dive resort or live aboard dive boat I know of has E6 slide processing anymore. But a lot of them have computers for backing up and making CD / DVDs :)

REAL photographers use film? What hogwash......A few stalwarts in fashion and a few other fields might, but every day more and more are convinced to go digital since it BEATS medium format film in resolution, plus the ease of use. Film was always adjusted and printed to an individual's taste for a final print, some with grain, some without, etc. So a computer today and software just makes this easier.

Don't believe little old me? Go to Canon U.S.A "Explorers of Light" group or lots of other sites I can list and read the comments from pros who didn't think they'd be convinced either.

Comparing 36 chances underwater to what you CAN shoot with large memory cards these days, WITH instant feedback so you can adjust and get decent exposures (most UW digital photographers still can't do this, even with digital) is just one of many advantages of digital. For my money and UW shooters I talk to on that prescious vacation shooting digital just makes sense.

CCDs are going away, too, as CMOS sensors are going to become more commonplace in all digital cameras. Canon has lead the way with their low noise at high ISO for years and Nikon is now producing cameras with CMOS sensors instead. And YES, you could make any digital file "look" like TRI-X, or PAN-X or whatever you want....

Heck, with a Google search I could likely find a "plug-in" (little piece of software) that Adobe Photoshop uses to produce that look. They've had a "Digital Velvia" (fine grain slide film) plug-in for years now.

You also can't make up in shooting volume what good photographic technique and practice provides. Photoshop will not make a stunning photo out of a crappy exposure. It's still light, ISO, shutter speed, f-stop, focus, composition, etc., etc. etc.

Finally, I'm going to turn 55 this year, and in 2009 will be diving for 40 years. I've seen gear come and go and just like that film has passed it's mark. I've "been there / done that" with all the film stuff through my diving and photography timeline. It was great, I embraced the advances when they happened just as I did with digital.

Magazines and most books today are printed from digital files. For miniscule costs compared to past years. Digital imaging is literally the most monumental change we will see photographically in our lifetime......

But if you want to go shoot film go ahead. Just don't be surprised when it becomes very difficult to buy, process and print.

Just my 2 cents and no harm intended :)

dhaas

I may have clouded my opinion in my response.

I fully agree with you. On all counts, except one.

I believe digital has beaten film in every conceivable aspect of imaging except the initial phase of recording the image.

There is no doubt in my mind nor qualm in my personal opinions that digital cameras are far superior to film.

You are completely correct - film is impossible to get processed, especially something like medium format, unless you do it yourself.

I'm just saying that I don't believe digital cameras have put the finishing blow on film as far as IMAGE QUALITY is concerned.

In every other aspect, I believe the battle is clearly in favor of digital, by large margins.

I believe it will be a long time before you can say with certainty "this digital image is better than if I had taken the same shot with film." (All things being equal)

Obviously, post production on a computer is one of digitals biggest selling points, I fully agree. I'm an amateur photographer at best. Photoshop is the reason my pictures are bearable most of the time :p

I have, however, taken some amazing shots with my Rollei that I know I can't match with my current digitals.

Back
Top Bottom