How would you rank these liveaboard destinations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PStrangerX

Registered
Reaction score
Got a big joint 40th bday we are planning for our spouses. We know we want to do a Live-Aboard. The month we are planning for would be June/July/early August for 2024.

I have never dived outside the Caribbean, so very much excited to see a new ocean! Those of you with more experience, how would you rank these destinations? (I am listing them in no personal order.)

1. Egypt -Sharm El Sheikh
2. Oman - Daymaniyat Islands
3. Maldives - Ari Atoll
4. Australia - Great Barrier/Ningaloo
5. Philippines - Tubbataha Reefs Natural Park
6. Seychelles

Less concerned with the particular boat at this juncture versus the quality of reefs and sealife. Thank you!

Got a big joint 40th bday we are planning for our spouses. We know we want to do a Live-Aboard. The month we are planning for would be June/July/early August for 2024.

I have never dived outside the Caribbean, so very much excited to see a new ocean! Those of you with more experience, how would you rank these destinations? (I am listing them in no personal order)

1. Egypt -Sharm El Sheikh Plenty of choice around the Egyptian Red Sea, check out the respective forum for feedback
2. Oman - Daymaniyat Islands No liveaboards operating in Oman as far as I'm aware, but the Damaniyats are nice and August should have some whale shark action.
3. Maldives - Ari Atoll Maldives is a good choice
4. Australia - Great Barrier/Ningaloo opposite sides of this country, to do the GBR properly you need to fly out of Cairns to the outer part of the GBR to see the living corals.
5. Philippines - Tubbataha Reefs Natural Park Out of season for your dates
6. Seychelles Not aware of liveaboards around the Seychelles, nice diving but $$$ for what you get.

Personally from your list above I'd be looking at either Egypt or the
Maldives.

This wreck is in 100 metres so it will give you a bit of an idea of the vis in the Red Sea can be like (not my photo - credit to Alex Dawson)
1680521148732.png

I've dived most of those, my suggestion would be Sharm if you timed it for the June full moon.

Thank you! We did decide on the Red Sea and doing the BDE route on one of the Discovery Liveaboards.

Question about the Full Moon Suggestion - are the currents much stronger after the full moon? Is the suggestion mainly for more light for night dives?

Full moon and new moon are associated with higher tidal movement and current associated with that movement.

The Red Sea does not have major tidal moment.

However that does not mean there is no current, other factors apply such as narrows between land and reefs etc.

Thank you! We did decide on the Red Sea and doing the BDE route on one of the Discovery Liveaboards.

Question about the Full Moon Suggestion - are the currents much stronger after the full moon? Is the suggestion mainly for more light for night dives?
The full moon in June is when the fish in the northern parts of the Red Sea aggregate on the reefs for spawning. You won't see much of that activity on the BDE route though. One tip for the Red Sea is to leave any split fins at home - the currents in the Red Sea aren't that predictable, so you want a fin that has decent propulsion - something like a Scubapro Seawing Nova.

so you want a fin that has decent propulsion - something like a Scubapro Seawing Nova.
or the Mares Quattro.

I have dived the red sea and GBR and both are spectacular so they would be my recommendations :) I lived in the Whitsundays which is one of the access points to the GBR so got to explore thoroughly and probably biased because of it. Both places are spectacular but the GBR is another level if you plan and choosing the right locations.

The outer reef is incredible but it depends on the dive locations and the tour you go on. I recommend going on a liveaboard and I went on the spirit of freedom which departs from Cairns and was amazing as it went to remote reefs where the reef was flourishing rather than some of the day trip locations which have huge numbers and often lots of bleaching.

The Whitsundays is pretty special the diving there was spectacular with trips out to the outer reefs but the reefs around some of the 72 islands were just as spectacular. if you can charter a boat then it's another level. some great spots are listed on this local dive centres guide here

There's also an amazing underwater art museum out of Townsville which was different and a little creepy but one of my favourite dives actually. see pic below
jp townsvill art.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom