How was DEMA 2009 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There have been a lot of good comments re: DEMA 2009.

Seems that although there were fewer exhibitors and fewer folks attending, the folks who were
there thought the time well spent and worthwhile. This bodes well for DEMA 2010 in Las Vegas.

If you were at DEMA in Orlando this year let us know your thoughts, comments, etc. This can help improve the experience for all.

OK, OK, I'll come clean. Here are my gripes with DEMA this year:

• Not enough Beir Gartens!
  • Not enough Czech girls to go around!
  • No one was handing out free dive gear!
  • Were was the tram?
  • No one (and I mean no-one) kissed my feet!
  • I couldn't find the Free Rum!
  • Not enough Czech girls to go around!

I could go on, but these were the BIGGIES!

People had time to talk this year, which has been sadly missing in the past. That meant I and my staff could get things done! After all, we paid to get in as well. Booths were smaller, giveaways were smaller, and so were the parties. I loved it.

I have been to lots of DEMAs and although this one was smaller I still think it was worth my attending. I had more time to walk and talk with folks that have interesting products and I attended several seminars that gave invaluable information.

As for the cameras - not too many years in the past cameras were prohibited at the trade shows. The purpose of the show is for us - the retailer - to meet with equipment and travel reps and to set up with our reps our needs for the year. So here comes someone with a camera and takes pictures of the fabulous brand name tanks and the wholesale (DEMA Special) pricing. They post the pictures on a public forum and here I go as the evil LDS owner who is trying to make a profit to possibly pay my electric bills and gas bills for heating the pool all winter. "I saw how much you paid for those tanks!" says the customer.

DEMA could be improved by bringing it back to what it was originally intended - a TRADE SHOW not a public event.

I'm with Pete - Where was the beer stand?????

And the evil badge checker lady had to be distracted when I brought my own beer in this time. They were really trying to crack down on outside beer. I kept having to carry the beer in covered with useless drinking water.

Made in South Korea:wink:

...one wonders if these 'new' South Korean tanks are a reincarnation of the good 'ol PST scuba tank manufacturing company ? As last I heard, the old PST stamping/tooling equipment was bought and shipped to South Korea, where future PST tanks would be stamped out, then these tanks were to be shipped back to the USA for final finishing by the downsized PST remnant ...but I never heard anything after that 'grand plan' as as far as I know all that sank without trace.......so are these 'new' tanks in any way related to PST ??? (yeah I know, PST used to make steel, not AL tanks.)

There have been a lot of good comments re: DEMA 2009.

Seems that although there were fewer exhibitors and fewer folks attending, the folks who were
there thought the time well spent and worthwhile. This bodes well for DEMA 2010 in Las Vegas.

If you were at DEMA in Orlando this year let us know your thoughts, comments, etc. This can help improve the experience for all.

...well, if I'd been invited to DEMA, I could have showed you one of my scuba 'inventions'...namely, I've improved 'your' Apollo BioLock tank cam bands....while I like and have been diving your 'cam bands' for some years ago, they do have some annoying flaws/weaknesses which I have 'corrected'...so now they're MUCH better! :D

Do's Dema release any information like "International visitor numbers, local visitors, out of State visitors, total feet through" etc. ?

Cant say I have ever seen it before, but I cant say I looked much before either.

I ask because for the first time in 20 odd years, as an international visitor I did not attend, chatting to a few friends in Europe probably only half who would normally attend did so, and I just wondered about general demographics.?

......but in general it seems a positive response which is very upbeat indeed. I am kinda regretting not going now.:D

I have been to lots of DEMAs and although this one was smaller I still think it was worth my attending. I had more time to walk and talk with folks that have interesting products and I attended several seminars that gave invaluable information.

As for the cameras - not too many years in the past cameras were prohibited at the trade shows. The purpose of the show is for us - the retailer - to meet with equipment and travel reps and to set up with our reps our needs for the year. So here comes someone with a camera and takes pictures of the fabulous brand name tanks and the wholesale (DEMA Special) pricing. They post the pictures on a public forum and here I go as the evil LDS owner who is trying to make a profit to possibly pay my electric bills and gas bills for heating the pool all winter. "I saw how much you paid for those tanks!" says the customer.

DEMA could be improved by bringing it back to what it was originally intended - a TRADE SHOW not a public event.

People find out the actual cost to _produce_ things like iphones and playstations all the time (heck, who barters with just the wholesale price?).

If you are having problems paying the gas bill because people find out how much you pay for tanks, imagine the problems you'll have when people find out how much the air costs it takes to fill them! :D

Sounds like you might need to find a new business if a peek inside the smoke filled room threatens your business model.

If you are having problems paying the gas bill because people find out how much you pay for tanks, imagine the problems you'll have when people find out how much the air costs it takes to fill them! :D

At $20,000 for the installation of a good air compressor, $5,000 for a bank storage system, throw in a couple of grand for tubing, regulators, check valves, and time, $60 worth of filters every 75 hours, $1500 of routine maintenance every couple of years, and you think air is cheap? Are you ****ing high?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom