How tough is the diving in the Galapagos actually?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fiveupstove

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm thinking of doing a liveaboard in the Galapagos in May, but many sites and some boats (Humboldt Explorer) are recommending quite a bit of experience. I've got a total of 45 dives, cold water experience in Monterey and British Columbia, and drift diving in Bali and Sipadan. Should I give it a go or put it off until later?

I know some boats had a 100 dive minimum suggestion. More experience would be good. Do you have a set dive buddy ? If so, are they experienced ?

Separation is a very real possibility in Galapagos. If you see a whale shark approaching, are you both going to try to get close ? If yes, what happens if one person gets tired and the other wants to keep going ? How is your stamina ? Would you be comfortable and know what to do if you did get separated ?

You can always buddy with the dive master or stick very close to a conservative diver, but you might not get real close encounters if that matters to you.

How much of your diving experience was in cold water? The fact you dove in the cold waters of BC is good. Experience in strong currents is also good. Experience in strong down currents and up currents is also good!

The diving in the Galapagos was the most difficult I have ever done. The water temp was warm, but the currents were difficult to deal with. Not just one current, but several, strong, and always changing. There were some dives where everyone was separated, and the zodiacs were picking up single divers from all over the place. The currents weren't predictable at all. The DM would jump in, assess the currents, and tell us the dive plan. By the time we were in the water, the situation had changed. Or we'd be noodling along, go around a big rock, and ZOOM we were flying. That said, those sunrise dives when the sharks and sea lions were feeding rocked!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom