How to wear weight belt in DIR setup ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always dive steel so I suppose that would apply to me.

My harness however stays well put. I mean ME rolling on my side. I use jetfins and while in motion it's not a problem because like you said, they act as aileronto some degree but if one was to be still then the rolling becomes a little issue. It's corrected easily enough but avoidable completely would be better. Much agree on pitch, those posture can make some minor corrections weight placement is the answer, though moving weight up and down on the body is rather easy and easily remedied in my experience.

What you said to stay on a bicycle is exactly the experience I find that counters the issue, however, imagine we didn't have the issue to begin with, better right?

I'd love in a perfect world to have my harness webbing be weighted in my chest area but I'm not willing to put weights there due to them being in the way and increasing drag in one of the few streamlined areas we naturally have as humans.

Good info though! Keep it coming people!

I think there really needs to be an environmental qualifier for some of this discussion.

When I dive warmer (3/2mm one piece) with 0-3 lb's of lead I can think in terms of no ditchable weight. Just put it on the rig.
If I am diving cold and wearing 24-30lb's of lead, I am not putting all that onto the backplate. Transport/carrying becomes too awkward.
Some form of removable weight needs to be incorporated; either on the belt, in trim pockets or ditchable pockets.

A little off the beaten path, but you could dive steel twins, which will likely eliminate the need for any additional weight and will distribute the mass over a broad plane. They don't tend to roll you the way a single steel tends to do.

I think there needs to be an skill qualifier for this discussion.

If your a new diver or don't dive much and have no plans to incur decompression. The weight (part or all) should be ditch-able.
If your a tech diver, the weight belt goes under the harness (ditching weight takes effort) as a safety factor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom