How to use a masking layer to darken/lighten image

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DamselDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It figures that I forgot to pack my notes. Now I am a thousand miles from home and my memory fails. I have a great tutorial dvd (by Doug Sloss, I think), that walks me through a method for darkening and lightening selected areas in a photo (like a dodge and burn?). I am using PS CS3. The problem is that I am missing a step. I know that I need a masking layer. I turn on the colors to black & white (located on the side panel). I then use the brush tool to shade areas lighter and darker. Unfortunately, I can't remember how to set up the layers. There is a step or two at the beginning of this process that I am missing. Can anyone help?

Thanks so much.

I think that I figured it out. It looks like it was one box that I didn't check; however, if anyone has another good way to do this, I am open to suggestions.

I'm not sure if this will answer your question but lets give it a try. Keep in mind that I'm using CS2:

Pictures are turned into Gray by Image - Mode - Grayscale.

New layers are created the Layers window (F7). Choose the Channel Mixer to make an Adjustment Layer. Select the Color, check Monochrome and fine tune with the sliders.

Hey Doc,

Don't know if you are still trying to figure it out but create your layers holding down the Alt/Option key. This will let you name them, fill them with 50% gray and change the Blend Mode to 50% gray. You know the rest! Let me know if that is what you're looking for and if you have anymore questions. Don't know if your home yet, but enjoy the trip and dive safe!

Best,
Doug

Hey Doc,

Don't know if you are still trying to figure it out but create your layers holding down the Alt/Option key. This will let you name them, fill them with 50% gray and change the Blend Mode to 50% gray. You know the rest! Let me know if that is what you're looking for and if you have anymore questions. Don't know if your home yet, but enjoy the trip and dive safe!

Best,
Doug

That was exactly what I needed. Thanks you so much!
btw, I love the dvd! It is awesome and I would recommend it to everyone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom