How to use a diver watch bezel like a Rolex submariner????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who knows how to use those things, that's why I have a $30 digital watch.

Reactions: Jax
One thing I learned about dive bezels on watches, from working in the jewelery industry is that not all bezels "lock" well. Many look good, but should not be relied on for any actual diving, as it is way too easy to bump and move that bezel, one reason they should not be able to be moved "backwards" at all! If your watch bezel should move, it is far better that it be truly unidirectional and add fictional bottom time if bumped, than misplace actual bottom time.

That's why you use a Rolex. She said, straight-faced.

Never considered that application... :coffee:

I mentioned it in post #4...

Always written on the slate as part of the pre-dive plan......

On tech dives, yeah. It's still a valid application, since most people look at their timer more often than their slate/wetnotes during a dive

That's why you use a Rolex. She said, straight-faced.

Ya, and with a Rolex one may be able to simply skip adding ditch-able weights too! 18K or Platinum Presidents would nock off the need for a bit of lead. :D

interestingly enough, all this discussion is for (in my world) a back-up device as the computer is leading (well, actually the plan is leading with the computer recording the details, but that is a whole different topic).......

There is such a push to computers - Yet I dove recreationally for over 10 years on my watch (or a bottom timer) and the Wheel with a dive plan on a slate. For recreational diving, its not unrealistic, especially here, where square profiles are actually what we dive (down tha anchor line, around the wreck, back up the anchor line).

The only way I've ever used a dive watch bezel, was to set the bezel marker to the minute hand location upon entering the water to mark the time I started my dive. At any point during the dive, counting up from that position to the current time, would give me my bottom time. Obviously, you would have to make mental note if your dive exceeded an hour.

I suppose you could also set the bezel marker to a future time if you have a target duration for your dive, but if something happens during your dive that forces you to miss your target, you may or may not remember your exact start time...stress can do funny things to your memory.

I have an old Omega Seamaster, and this is how I use mine.

For my dive watch I set the bezel marker on the minute hand when I start my dive. I can then count the number of minutes between the bezel marker and the minute hand to determine how long I have been diving for. The important thing to note for my watch is that if I try to rotate the dial it will rotate towards the minute hand, reducing the amount of time between the bezel marker and the minute hand. This means if I accidentally bump the bezel, it will not add minutes to my dive, it will reduce them.

If I set my bezel marker on the position for when I want to finish the dive and bump the bezel, it will make my dive longer than I wanted. This could be a problem.

If there is a watch which does a count up, the bezel should rotate counter-clockwise.

For my dive watch I set the bezel marker on the minute hand when I start my dive. I can then count the number of minutes between the bezel marker and the minute hand to determine how long I have been diving for. The important thing to note for my watch is that if I try to rotate the dial it will rotate towards the minute hand, reducing the amount of time between the bezel marker and the minute hand. This means if I accidentally bump the bezel, it will not add minutes to my dive, it will reduce them

Um, no. Then you'll go into NDL without knowing it

For my dive watch I set the bezel marker on the minute hand when I start my dive. I can then count the number of minutes between the bezel marker and the minute hand to determine how long I have been diving for. The important thing to note for my watch is that if I try to rotate the dial it will rotate towards the minute hand, reducing the amount of time between the bezel marker and the minute hand. This means if I accidentally bump the bezel, it will not add minutes to my dive, it will reduce them.

If I set my bezel marker on the position for when I want to finish the dive and bump the bezel, it will make my dive longer than I wanted. This could be a problem.

If there is a watch which does a count up, the bezel should rotate counter-clockwise.

Um, no. Then you'll go into NDL without knowing it

Doh, I don't have the watch in front of me but now that I think about it, my watch rotates counter-clockwise. So if you accidentally bump it, it adds time to the dive. That is, if you bump it and it moves 5 minutes, it will add 5 minutes to the displayed dive time thus subtracting 5 minutes from my dive and decreasing the amount of time I actually dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom