How to tell the difference between AIR2 generations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fourseventeen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
How can you tell if an AIR2 is a 1st, 2nd or 3rd generation ScubaPro AIR2 regulator? Obviously the 4th gen changed the look completely but what about 1-3?

By color and by button, and there're 5 generations. Quote from the museum:

2nd: black with orange buttons and an “S” is molded into the button. It was available from 1984 – 1989.

3rd: red, pink and gray buttons and "Air 2" was molded into the manual inflate/deflate and was on the market from 1990 – 1999.

4th: gray buttons only. The fourth generation Air 2 was on the market between 2000 & 2005.

5th: restyled.

There's not a lot of difference between the 3rd and the 4th, they share the same service manual. The 4th is supposed to give a bit more air. My wife has a 3rd with a yellow body and a pink button.

Last edited:
1st generation was square, all black, and looks nothing like later models.

cool thanks for that info guys I appreciate it.
so its the 5th that they changed to the new design. Thought I read on LP that it was the 4th.

Any difference between 4th and 5th besides the looks?

As noted above, the 1rst generation looks entirely different - and is no longer supported by Scubapro. (The regs on the very short "not supported" list are the 1rst gen Air 2, the Pilot, the Air 1 and for all practical purposes the Mk 7.)

The second generation Air 2 has the familiar Air 2 shape, but has a case with sharper looking edges, and uses a metal clip to prevent the Purge cover from rotating. This purge cover has splined edges, is a little more cone shaped, and screws on the outside of the case. Internally it is also different as, unlike the 3rd, 4th and restyled Air 2's, the air barrel cannot be removed until the inflator stem has been removed. More than one has been broken by a tech who did not know the difference and though the air barrel was just stuck.

The 3rd generation looks like the 4th generation and both have a more rounded appearance on the edges of the case and the purge cover screws inside the case. The major difference between them visually is the presence of a pin to retain the purge cover on the 4th Gen Air 2. Other than that there are just very minor cosmetic or detail changes.

The current "restyled" Air 2 is a 4th generation Air 2, just restyled with a fresh look and generally very softened lines, a slightly slimmer appearance and rehaped buttons.

Forget the BS on button color - buttons are easily changed and colors between some versions overlap anyway making it pretty useless as a way to determine which version it really is.

thanks for the great info. I have the 3rd gen as it looks. I was thinking about buying the 4th gen as an upgrade as opposed to having this one tuned up when its that time. BUT it doesnt look like it would be an "upgrade" other then the fact it looks a little nicer I think. Guess when the time comes ill compare the price to have this one tuned up as opposed to buying a new 4th gen for the updated look.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom