How to tell someone that they are damaging corals....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think one of the most important things is to tell the offender off to the side in private with a tone that says you want to help. Most people will take private, constructive criticism fairly well and if they don't, then report them to the DM's.

After they've ignored the first private mention of the damage... wait until they've put on their first fin for the next dive, pick up the other and hit them on the back of the head while saying "that's what you're doing to the coral". If they jump up to fight, they're already wearing one fin and a tank and won't be as mobile.

Just one approach probably no more effective than anything else.

I would be polite the first time, if she kept on doing my patience would soon run out.

I was in Manado a couple of years ago and this korean guy was damaging/killing crinoid feather starfish so he could get a extream close up of a green turtle. I tucked on his arm and pointed to the many crinoid legs that he was tearing off. He was also holding onto live hard corals, i reported him to the dive guides who had a word. Some people are just so god damn ignorant. They dont deserve to dive.

You tell them up front. They may not like it - but who gives ____t.

I have seen plenty of people do the wrong thing underwater and when I see them at the surface I let them know - especially if they are killing marine life. If they don't get it the first time it's really incumbent on the dive organizer to take the matter directly to the offender.

X

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom