How to teach student that cannot breathe thru their mouth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pete, I have read about your classes, as well of those by Jim Lap. Both of you are way beyond me in every way. And it seems you have many remedies for basic and not so basic problems. BUT, I still agree with Buliwyf when he says "How can a grown adult not know how to breathe through their mouth". WHO can't do that--even submerged in water!!!??? I will always be amazed that people with such a problem sign up for OW--even if you guys can straighten them out. It will always blow my mind, and may blow yours as well.

BUT, I still agree with Buliwyf when he says "How can a grown adult not know how to breathe through their mouth".
It's the same reason they can't pat their head and rub their stomachs at the same time. It's a simple skill that most never need to use. I see it all the time which is why I take a preemptive approach to identifying Anytime you want to isolate the source of a problem, it's best to simplify as much as possible. Having the user breathe on scuba or a snorkel adds an unneeded variable for the student to overcome. A mask full of water simply surrounds the nose with water, so the student can concentrate on learning how to control the soft palate while they breathe easily through their mouth. It's simple, effective and I don't waste time while on Scuba trying to resolve this.

Good topic, and some good suggestions.

I still remember exactly how I felt going under in the pool for the first time with a regulator in my mouth. Very uncertain. But with the first suck on the reg, and the subsequent effortless supply of air into me, I was amazed. And hooked.

It's the same reason they can't pat their head and rub their stomachs at the same time. It's a simple skill that most never need to use. I see it all the time which is why I take a preemptive approach to identifying Anytime you want to isolate the source of a problem, it's best to simplify as much as possible. Having the user breathe on scuba or a snorkel adds an unneeded variable for the student to overcome. A mask full of water simply surrounds the nose with water, so the student can concentrate on learning how to control the soft palate while they breathe easily through their mouth. It's simple, effective and I don't waste time while on Scuba trying to resolve this.
Absolutely agree. You figure you'd have to be able to master the airways on land first. Then add these suggestions about adding water--the snorkel thing, etc. Makes sense to me anyway.

Absolutely agree. You figure you'd have to be able to master the airways on land first. Then add these suggestions about adding water--the snorkel thing, etc. Makes sense to me anyway.
I'll bite: why? How often do we have to close the soft palate? Sure, we have to close the glottis from time to time, but unless you're in the water. I can't think of anything that requires us to close our soft palate.

Step one, remove dive mask
Step two, insert regulator
Step three, immerse face in water and continue to breathe without mask for 10 minutes or until done.
Step four, garnish and serve one student who can now breathe from mouth.

I taught my 4 year old nephew how to breath from a snorkel in 5 minutes in a pool. (Just had him plug his nose with his fingers while I held him.) I don't understand how an adult can't do that. I also don't understand how someone signs up for a scuba class without knowing how to do that. But then again, I had a couple who couldn't swim in my Open Water class so everything is possible it seems.

I'll bite: why? How often do we have to close the soft palate? Sure, we have to close the glottis from time to time, but unless you're in the water. I can't think of anything that requires us to close our soft palate.
Well, I don't know. Not sure whether you agree with me agreeing with you or not. Maybe it's because closing the glottis was something I probably did (in water or not?) as a 6 year old. I Guess if you're an adult smelling a skunk on the road you can pinch your nose closed rather than closing it off internally. Looks funny probably. But, we agree that this should be accomplished on land first, no?

Last edited:
I guess I misread what you were saying. I can understand why a lot of people don't know how until they run into a need. Often, Scuba is their first need.

Back
Top Bottom