How to stiffen webbing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Substitute a larger flat washer on either side of the webbing for the grommet.

Did you also use a lighter to fuse the edges of the hole before you installed the grommet?

Any ideas on how to stiffen webbing? I’m in the process of building a pony mount and the webbing is too flexible.

Can...

Use a straight edge...an aluminium ruler works well...measure your width...cut with an electric soldering gun using the cutting blade attachment...for giving your webbing a nice rounded ''end finish''...place a small round metal jar lid over the webbing end...and follow around the lid radius with the soldering gun...

The little cutting blade attachment works great...with the gun on and the tip still hot...brush off the cutting tip with a small wire brush and it's clean for the next time...

Best...

Warren

I found a great solution to stiffen the webbing. Minwax wood hardener. I had some laying around. Three ingredients, acetone, methanol, and resin. It’s non-photoreactive and doesn’t break done in water. I saturated the webbing and it’s really stiff now.
Ding Ding Ding!

You could try spray paint. I used Krylon Fusion All-In-One spray paint for plastics to paint one side of the webbing for this demonstration photo.

upload_2019-1-15_7-5-57.png

The purpose was to provide contrast to help discern one side from the other for Cam Band Assembly Instructions. A side effect was to stiffen the webbing. It took a lot of paint to get the color right. I suggest experimenting with some scrap to see if it works for you.

Back
Top Bottom