How to start UWP - Buy housing for my regular mirrorless or swap for a compact?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blenny84

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys!

I need some advice on how to start with underwater photography in terms of kit.
I already have a Fuji X-T10 for regular photography I would like to keep but I could not find any reviews on how it performs underwater, also I only found one housing for this camera made by Meikon (cheap and cheerful).

Options I am considering:

1. Buy the Meikon housing for my Fuji X-T10 + S&S YS-01 or Inon S2000 - will this work ok for a newbie?
2. Sell my Fuji gear and buy a Sony RX100ii + housing (2nd hand Nauticam or other) + S&S YS-01 or Inon S2000

Thanks!

Excellent questions Blenny84! I literally just bought Meikon housing for my sony. I can't give you any advice as I'm in the same boat (or water) as you, but can't wait for thoughts!

If you provide more info about your expected results, then people will be able to provide relevant info.

What type of photos do you want to take?
What level of photographer are you?

The type of camera setup you need will depend upon what you want to do.

Sure, I am an amateur photographer and would like to start with something small and simple to use, I have seen a few pictures taken with compact cameras and would be really happy if I could achieve the same results.

I would like something flexible that is able to do both macro and wide angle, I understand I will need to get some special wet lenses for this.

@Blenny84 welcome to the forum.

You pose an interesting question, and IMHO, I think that there are better options than what you are looking at. Please let me elaborate. I was once in a similar situation as you. a new diver who also looked at photography as a hobby that was a huge part of my life. It was only natural that I would want to combine diving and photography. The cold hard fact, however was that by trying to learn both diving and UWP simultaneously, it took much longer before I was happy with my results in either than it would have if I had delayed the UWP and concentrated initially on mastering diving skills such as buoyancy, slowing down my breathing to reduce my air consumption and simply becoming more comfortable and aware of what is going on underwater. I honestly think that you would benefit by learning from my mistakes. Don't be in too much of a rush to start taking pics underwater. For now, concentrate on becoming a better diver.

OK, now that I am off of my "soapbox", here is why I think that there may be better options.

First, anytime that you take a camera underwater, there is the risk that you might destroy it. No matter how careful you are, underwater is a hostile environment for a camera and accidents do happen. For that reason, I would not recommend taking your only (or even your main) camera underwater. If something unforeseen does happen, then you have lost your only camera.

Secondly, both of the cameras that you are considering are "non-current models". This means that finding the correct housing for the camera may become a challenge that will only get harder with each passing day. If you are trying to save some money by going with a non-current camera, then I would shop for a housing first since that will likely be your limiting factor. (I recently bought a new but non-current camera for underwater, a Sony A6000, but not until I had ensured that housings were still available for it.)

Thirdly, looking at the camera/housing combinations that you are considering, the biggest advantage that the Fuji has is that it has interchangeable lenses. By using the Meikon housing, you might find that this advantage is somewhat limited because of what lenses will fit in the housing.

If it were me, what would I do?

Like I said, despite the urge, I would (try to) hold off and not buy anything until I had saved enough to buy a camera and housing system that I am willing to put at risk. Use this time to hone your dive skills. In the short term, this hurts, but I think it will pay off in the long term.

While waiting, I would look for a camera with the following features (as "go-no go" requirements):
  • The ability to shoot RAW. You may (or may not) shoot RAW right away, but eventually you will want to, so look for this right from the beginning.
  • A camera that offers the capability to shoot in Manual Mode. Again, you may not use this at first, but eventually you almost certainly will.
  • A relatively current camera with an availability of housings (ideally, housing choices).
  • If you plan to travel with your camera, you will need to find the right balance between size of gear and ease of travel. This balancing act is becoming more complicated every time the airlines change their baggage limits.
  • Linked very closely to the above point is finding the right balance between sensor size, resolution and flexibility (such as that gained by interchangeable lenses.) Sometimes, a high quality "Point & Shoot" will give extremely good results without the bulk and complexity of a DSLR system. You have to find what you prioritize and work with that.

If I was starting out, and it was me, and I had saved the money and was comfortable with my diving skills, I would look at something like a Sony RX100IV or RX100V. Both are current enough that there are housings available for them. (Most of those housings will allow the use of both Macro and Wide Angle "Wet Lenses" so they offer a lot of flexibility.) They can both shoot in RAW and offer Manual Mode if desired.

WRT your question about strobes, strobes are absolutely required and both S&S and Inon make great products.

** Edited to correct a typo.

Last edited:
Hoax has excellent recommendations.

Before you should get into photography, you should get pretty comfortable with diving. Underwater photography is complex and requires a considerable amount of attention. Underwater photographers can get easily task loaded and lose track of things like their air levels, their buddy, their deco and their location. The single most important thing is proper weighting and buoyancy control. Your camera needs to be in the proper spot for good composition. That is tricky.

Having a camera that shoots RAW really helps. That way you can adjust white balance in post. White balance changes constantly. Shooting manual is good also. If you shoot in an auto mode, it is all to easy to get things out of whack. The shutter speed is too slow or the f stop is wrong.

As to cameras, the housings cost more than the camera and that is before you add in ports and strobes. So picking a less than current camera is not a good call assuming you are getting a new housing.

It is all too easy to flood a housing. I have seen it happen. You can get a vacuum system for most housings. I have one on mine. I assemble the housing, I put a partial vacuum on the housing, the light goes green. I have a good seal. I don't know if it has ever prevented a flood. But getting the good seal really helps for piece of mind. Backscatter sells these and they come standard for Nauticam housings.

Sure, I am an amateur photographer and would like to start with something small and simple to use, I have seen a few pictures taken with compact cameras and would be really happy if I could achieve the same results.

I would like something flexible that is able to do both macro and wide angle, I understand I will need to get some special wet lenses for this.
Some great advice in the posts above. And I would emphasize that when starting out it is less about the gear (mostly) and more about you - this is assuming you have mastered land photography - do you currently shoot totally manual?

Taking great stills underwater is a very humbling experience. I get reminded of this every dive trip. Happy snaps are easy. GoPro video is easy.

I use "just" a compact camera: Canon G16 (actually it has been awhile since I have seen a full DSLR, lots of GoPros, 1 or 2 SeaLifes and a handful of compacts the last few years...). I use a SubSee +10 as my macro lens. At full zoom it gives me about 1/4 inch DOF and a frame size of around 1 1/2 inches (I am just making these numbers up as I have never actually measured them). This makes it incredibly hard to get a decent macro shot. How good is your buoyancy? Surge? == no macro!

Start out slow. This may mean that you purchase some disposable gear as you progress. My current recommendation for a beginner underwater photog is to buy a TG camera alone and take it on shallow dives to see how good YOU are. Maybe you get frustrated & hate it?

If you pass the test, then you can add a tray and some strobes and progress to more difficult shots. Then you can graduate to a more functional (full manual) camera.

As an educational and eye opener exercise I suggest you read as much as you can on SB and Wetpixel about TTL strobes.

Keep it simple and dive. @Hoag is right on with his advice! When you get more dives under your belt and have nailed your buoyancy then I would highly recommend a photography trip. There are so many to choose from with some great teachers out there. I have watched people morph into very good photographers after these trips. There are also trips were you can try different gear and camera set-ups. Lots of great advice and info out there but don't neglect building your scuba skills first!

Last edited:
@Hoag @giffenk @PatW @Cali_diver
I am glad I posted my question here, your advice is much appreciated.

Even though I am really keen on getting a camera down there and start shooting I have to admit I am not quite ready for it yet.
I like the idea of starting slowly and getting more comfortable with my diving and with shooting manual on land, then move into a basic 2nd hand TG-4 to see how it goes and feels and also definitely take an UWP course first before making the 'big' jump to my first underwater kit.
I am sure I will be a better diver and uw photographer if I take it slow and steady.

Have already ordered 'The Underwater Photographer' by Martin Edge to keep me entertained for a bit.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom