How to remove Crown of Thorns??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shontellee13

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Aloha,
Went on a dive in the Philippines (S. Leyte) that had amazing coral, but was being taken over by hundreds of Crown of Thorns. After this experience, I was thinking it would be great do do a dive and remove them (and be able to actually help preserve the coral). Thought that there has to be a better way to remove them than by using a steak prong and garbage sacks:rofl3:...anyone have helpful hints? or experience at removing the CofT's? Thanks!

Injecting them is the best method.

However, if that isn't an option, then the most effective 'gathering' method is to use a sharp stick with line.

Get a 1m+ stick and sharpen the end. To the other end attach a 1m+ length of string. At the other end of the string, attach a second, short, length of wood to act as a stopper.

When you see a CoT, you can spear it through the middle with the stick and then allow the CoT to drop along the stick onto the string.

Using this method, you can easily collect a large number of CoT...without the headache (and risk) of trying to stuff them into a bag.

Injections definitely sound easier than gathering; however, where can you get this CoT lethal injection?

Are there dive centers that let you dive free to kill their crown of thorns? It sounds like a fun job ; )

I like to kill them, sometime I use just a piece of Tuna Fishing Line, you can thread on about 20 on this length of line and thats about 20+ kg when someone has to lift them onto a boat!
The injection method is good also if there are lots, I have the injector and will soon have the SB to inject!
There are many ways to kill them but by far the best method is to pay a small bounty to local fishermen who will catch them in waters to about 30 feet deep!
Our area is pretty much under control now but it takes looking after and we get every one we see!

Or you could encourage protection of giant tritons, one of their natural predators.

Injections definitely sound easier than gathering; however, where can you get this CoT lethal injection?

Its not easier. Each individual arm has to be injected or its a waste of time. COTs are a normal phase occurring naturally every 11 years or so. They get out of control when local islands have too much nutrient material flowing into estuaries and bays that result in abnormal hatch and survival rates. Each COT female produces about 4.5 million eggs. Stop the nutrients and they starve. Control is impossible without breaking the nutrient cycle.

safe diving,

bullshark

We used to use just kitchen tongs and a bag though I think a basket with a lid would be easier.

Convince some large people group they are a delicacy. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom