How to "quote"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How do I quote just part of another members posting in my posting? I'm ok with quoting their whole post but can't figure out partial. I've highlited, cut and pasted and nothing seems to be working for me. :confused: Does this make sense to you? :shakehead

Two ways to do it:

motorcitydiver:
How do I quote just part of another members posting in my posting?
Quote the whole post then delete the part of the text between the [ QUOTE ] [ /QUOTE ] tags that you don't want in the edit window in your reply.

Note: in order to make the quote code visible here I had to add an extra space around the QUOTE /QUOTE tags which you won't see.

but can't figure out partial.
Or select and copy the text you want to quote. Paste it into the quick reply window. While it's still highlighted hit the quote icon - the last one to the right - the little white box with the text in it. If you hover your mouse over it, you'll see: "wrap [ QUOTE ] tags around selected text". That's what I did for the "partial" quote above.

This also works in the advanced reply window. You can even quote nested replies by wrapping a whole quoted post inside QUOTE tags again. Like this: (quoting myself)

but can't figure out partial.
Or select...
The same process works in PM's.

[quote=me]Why didn't I think of this?[/quote]

will provide this:
me:
Why didn't I think of this?

BTW, when you start trying to get fancy with such, do try the Preview or Go Advanced options, depending on which post box you're using. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom