Question How to prepare for tech diving without diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd like to post a quick update and thank you at all who responded. I had a great course and learned a lot, and have definitely caught the tech bug. My instructor did a great job and I am really looking forward to taking AN/DP this summer. I purchased some gear (2xHP100 that my shop has doubled up, tech shorts, and an AL40 deco bottle) and am ordering the rest of the equipment I'll need. I read lots of articles and a few books (currently reading Deco for Divers). Now my only goal is to put in as many hours in the water, either in single tank or backmount doubles. I am putting aside a good chunk of change for what I know is going to be very expensive.

In short, putting on doubles for the first time was a cool experience and I am looking forward to further diving.

In water time is paramount. Getting experience with your equipment is important. Knowing where the bar is on basic skills is important, and then getting briefed on how to achieve that.

Some of this you'll need to do with an instructor. However a lot of the prep work can be done with technical diving mentors (if they are good, not just think they are good).

It's good you have a goal that's a bit defined, makes it easier to create a battle plan to achieve that goal. I would suggest focussing first on basic in water skills while diving with technical equipment (doubles, drysuit). Gue Fundies or something similar (essentials, intro to ... )

The books mentioned are all very good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom