How to mount a GoPro to a single-pane mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jerbee

Contributor
Reaction score
Baton Rouge, LA / Puerto Galera, Philippines
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Does anyone have some advice they wouldn’t mind sharing regarding methods of attaching a GoPro Super Suit for the HERO7 to a single-pane mask? Specifically, to a ScubaMax Abaco?

I ordered a ScubaPro Mask mount late last week, but realized today that it appears to be “universal” only in the sense that it works on two-pane masks. I thought of cutting off the “V” shape in the front, then using gorilla glue to stick it on the mask, but don’t know that I would want to trust $400+ to a few drops of adhesive. Unless gorilla glue would actually work?

What are y’alls thoughts?

Have you ever seen video shot by someone using that setup - or the GoPro reg mount.

It's horrible. Every motion of your head gets amplified, every time you look somewhere we see it. Every jerk of your head while finning plus in some positions we'll see the bubbles obscure what you're shooting.

Personally I'd rethink it. Try to come up with a option for steady video - your viewers will thank you.

Plus the small size of the Gopro means it's more subject to being buffeted around resulting in jerky video.

If you're serious, get a tray, If you just want to show Youtube videos to your friends - your method works.

Does anyone have some advice they wouldn’t mind sharing regarding methods of attaching a GoPro Super Suit for the HERO7 to a single-pane mask?

What are y’alls thoughts?
As someone who owns a GoPro and a mask mount my thoughts are don’t do it. As diversteve says the footage is pretty disappointing, except where you concentrate on holding your head still which you can only do for short bursts.

Get a tray or other handle.

I use a GoPro headband mount. It’s like a headlight band. I wear it under my mask strap so it doesnt fall off. With the GoPro 7 stability shouldn’t be a problem. Although I’m just shooting for my own viewing. If you’re shooting for the insta-face-twitterati crowd you may want a more “pro” option. The headband leaves both hands free which to me is the most important aspect.

Yup. I know that it's not the question that you asked, but I agree with the other posters. I can't watch mask mounted video myself.

I suppose that if you are doing scientific or forensic diving where you just need to document something and need both hands free while you are filming, it's a good option. But in most scenarios, non-working divers who are trying to make good underwater videos don't really need to have both hands free while shooting. It's such a tiny little gadget it's pretty easy to clip it off when you aren't using it.

If you are trying to make a watchable video, hold the camera. Even if you can't afford lights and a tray right now, the GoPro works pretty well in relatively shallow water with ambient light. You can use a filter if you want to try for better color balance.

I mounted one on my goodman light handle. The camera always points at the light-beam, which stays super steady.

Thanks for all of the replies. I was thinking that with the supposed “gimbal-like” stability of the 7 that camera shake would be minimized... at least it appeared to be from the 6 vs 7 comparison videos on the GP site. I never thought about the bubbles, though. From what everyone has said, it looks like the best option for me would be to use a floaty handle and attach it with a retractable tether to the BCD.

If you get a tray you can still clip it to a BC by adding zip ties to the tray. You cab also add lights later.

You'll want to add lights.

Anyone ever seen or tried a workable shoulder mount? I wonder if some kind or LocLine setup mounted to the tank valve and peeking over one shoulder would work?...

Back
Top Bottom