How to measure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum

Dive Bum Wannabe
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Your website along with others provide detailed measuring diagrams and a lot of tips on how to get accurate measurements but I am left with a fundamental question.

In the past we have had a number of custom wetsuits in the family from several sources including dealer and self measured and have never really been excited with any of the fits. Regardless of who is measuring I have never had a straight answer on how snugly to measure. I think we can all agree that for a wetsuit to work well it wants to fit with a slight hint of compression. If I take a perfect no stress measurement will the suit tailor subtract 5 or 10% to get the close fit? My experience seems to suggest that unless somebody subtracts something or applies a little tension during measuring you end up with something that fits like designer jeans but not a wetsuit.

Let me reiterate that this is based on experience with other companies.

We have other needs in our future and based on the loyal following Wetwear has developed here on the board I would like to hear what relationship between measurement technique and tailor best works for you. Visiting for the tailor to measure is not practical.

Thanks,
Pete

Your website along with others provide detailed measuring diagrams and a lot of tips on how to get accurate measurements but I am left with a fundamental question.

In the past we have had a number of custom wet suits in the family from several sources including dealer and self measured and have never really been excited with any of the fits. Regardless of who is measuring I have never had a straight answer on how snugly to measure. I think we can all agree that for a wet suit to work well it wants to fit with a slight hint of compression. If I take a perfect no stress measurement will the suit tailor subtract 5 or 10% to get the close fit? My experience seems to suggest that unless somebody subtracts something or applies a little tension during measuring you end up with something that fits like designer jeans but not a wet suit.

Let me reiterate that this is based on experience with other companies.

We have other needs in our future and based on the loyal following WetWear has developed here on the board I would like to hear what relationship between measurement technique and tailor best works for you. Visiting for the tailor to measure is not practical.

Thanks,
Pete

He is another option depending on how quickly you need the wet suits.

Have WetWear measure you at the Sea Rovers show in Boston. Then meet them at the Beneath the Sea show in the Meadowlands and they will mark it for any final adjustments and then ship the final product to you.

This worked out well me and they fit very well.

Hi Pete,

You are correct that a wetsuit needs to fit with a slight hint of compression. It should fit like a second skin. We tell our customers to measure accurately, not too loose and not too snug. The skin should not be compressed underneath the tape measure.

When we draft the individual pattern we do deduct from the measurements in order to get that "second skin" kind of fit. So it is important that we get accurate measurements, so that the suit is not too tight.

Here are a few other tips for wetsuit measuring:

- It is not necessary to go to a tailor. You can have a freind or relative help you.
- Wear a bathing suit while being measured.
- Do not measure yourself. You need help.
- Make sure you are looking straight ahead while being measured, not down at the person.

I hope this is helpful. If you have any further questions. Please feel free to contact me here on Scuba Board, or at (954)458-0400, wetwear@bellsouth.net.

Sincerely,

Kristi warren

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom