How to mark corals using DIY U/W buoys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilz

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Dear all,

I'm doing a research on coral reefs. Now I have about 4-5 locations, with in total about 25 transects to survey. These transects will be fixed during my research. I'd like to mark the starting points of my transects with something like a small U/W buoy. However as there are many other (recreational) divers in my area, I can't use any surface markers or fancy things as this will attract other divers and they might remove my marker.
So a couple of questions here:

- Is there anybody with experience with this?
- Will it be a good idea to use for example small (500 mL) plastic bottles, attached to a 2-3 m line (in ~10m deep water)?
- How to attach such a line to the (coral) substrate, without using any concrete structures?

Your help is much appreciated!

I come across transect markers occasionally here that consist of a rod that has been pounded into the reef.

When attaching transect lines to the substrate, we would find a piece of dead coral nearby to lightly tie the transect end to. You can also find a rock to anchor the transect if it starts in sand. Be sure to anchor both ends in some way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom