How to make a noiseless shaker...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just made a couple what I hope to be noise makers yesterday for my wife and I. I used brass pipe and fittings, it is 3/8" pipe, one cap, one coupling, and one plug. The plug has the solid square end for sticking out so I drilled a hole for string. I used a 3/8" tap in one, and a piece of 3/8" threaded rod (both I just had in the garage). The total for the brass pieces for two shakers was just under $25. I used teflon tape to make sure it didn't leak. I'll have a test run in the pool in a week or two, I'll report on the findings. If worse comes to worse, I could tap these things on the tank.

How does the clicker style work??
Tim

forgetg:
Just got the clicker, the metal part is not stainless....will not last in the saltwater.....has anyone seen one of these clickers with stainless hardware??
Bought a clicker at the local pet shop for $1.97. In air it is distinctive and loud and everyone on the pool deck was eager to help me. In the water there is very little noise. I could barely hear it and I was the one pressing the button. No one else heard it either.

I did take a 5" copper pipe (3/4" diameter) with two end caps sweated on with me as well. I filled it with 10-12 1/4" nuts and carriage bolts. Now THAT was fine and could be heard up to 20 feet away. I will post images when I get it painted. Want to cover the outer surface before I take it in the ocean.

the reason your shaker sounds muted, is because you have ignored
one vital element, which is the patent of this device.
on both ends of the tube there is a metal ball bearing. It is fixed yet "floating".
This is what makes the other ball bearings to resonate.

Attachments

• maracas_real.jpg
    maracas_real.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 110
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom