How to lock tanks in outdoor shared closet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

floridasungirl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I live in a 8 unit, 2-story condo building. There are a few shared-use closets that I'd like to store my tanks in as opposed to keeping them in the trunk of my car (which I've been doing for four years). I live on the second floor so the closets that are on the ground level and much closer to my car are the best option.

How can I make locks that will go around the tanks. I can't connect anything to the walls and just basically want to make it very, very difficult for anyone to steal the tanks. I'm thinking of something that connects below the valves and then locks to a cinder block. There are four tanks total and again, I'm not looking for mission-impossible, just "mission-annoying, let's go look for something easier to steal".

Thanks!

the cinderblock can break easy, get the plastic coated cable(bicycle lock cable) and wrap around each neck with a lock then lock end of cable then there locked together.

the object is to have no slack in cable.

If i where you i would make a box out of 3/4 plywood or steel if you have the skills to do so.. but a basic box, out of wood, glue the joints and screw it togther, a few hinges and a clasp and you have your own storage lock box. drill a few holes in the plywood to let it breathe, if some one wants to steel your tanks they have to take all 4 of them at once, with the box, gonna be fairly heavy....

I would lock them all together, with a chain. If you loop the chain around the neck of the tanks, under the valve and put locks between each the them they would have to take all four tanks at once with would be a pain in the ass if. That is what I would do.

Empty the tank, take the valve out, put a steel ring (sized so the valve will not pass through it) over the neck and reinstall the valve. Now you can pass a bicycle lock through the ring and lock the tank up. The ring stays on the tank.

^I've used both. I have boxes of both. Part number DX-60331 on the Dive Gear Express website if you didn't know where to get one, or 4. Use the plastic coated bike cable to pass through the 4 rings then lock it. Problem over.

A simple chain around the base of each valve with a lock on each loop would provide some resistance to theft if there are enough tanks that it would be a problem lifting all of them. Problem is the valve can be removed by emptying the tank. The car sounds more secure if you don't want to carry them up stairs.

While that tank can be drained and the valves removed, I've locked tanks this way many thousands of times (as have most of the dive boats I know) and I have never lost a tank yet.

BTW: the chain and lock have the same problem, snip the lock (or pick it, or use the tin can slide thingie).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom