How to keep shoulder harness pads in place?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

munitor

Contributor
Reaction score
I put together a backplate rig for my wife and she requested shoulder harness pads. Due to sensitivity in the shoulder area from surgery, she doesn't want anything hard mounted to the shoulder straps like slides or D rings.

How do I keep the pads in place on the straps without using something hard like slides?

The pads should be just a bit smaller than the width of the webbing and have to be stretched over it.....they shouldn't move without considerable encouragement.

As fishpie said...

Failing that... add some appropriate solvent to hold them in place?

I'm using standard webbing and they definitely aren't tight enough to fit snugly - they slide easily.

But I like the shoo goo idea!

An idea I had was to punch a hole through the pad and the strap, right where it exits the bp, and put a nylon bolt and washers on the whole thing.

Either that or a small ziptie. Although the placement of drings and slides should not interfere with the shoulders. I have my drings positioned, for lack of better description, about a palm width above my nipples. Or course it's a vertical span, not horizontal as it could be on a female.

I did have some d-rings on there at the normal spot to start with, but they stick out sideways due to the rotation of the straps. If you move them up to where they would be forward facing, they are too high and bite into the shoulder because they are on the part that is carrying the weight of the tank. Not a problem in water, but painful on the surface. I should point out my wife is only 5'-1", which made the whole project challenging. I'm actually thinking I might sew some 1" loops to the main straps to mount small plastic Dee rings so she has a couple of clip off points. I could then slot the pads and feed those out the front.

I had major shoulder surgery... bone reconstruction, pins to reattach muscle,.... and just came back from my 1s dive trip since the surgery. I switched over to a bp/w as well.... Transplate harness, oxycheq softpack and mach V. I used the d-rings and keepers on the shoulders and had ABSOLUTELY no problem with the rig hurting my shoulder while diving.

However, once I got out of the water..... :shakehead:

Guess that means I need to figure out how to stay submerged! :D

Back
Top Bottom