How to handle a bad buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrtremere

Registered
Reaction score
I went on my first night dive. I have had a total of 6 dives. Location was La Jolla Shores in San Diego. My buddy said had 500 logged dives. He knew my experience level. I told I was limited to about 60ft and to head back @ 1700psi. We went down to 60, headed over to a canyon wall. I noticed he kept decending. I check the computer [80 feet] and followed him. I was mainly focus on bouyancy and not hogging air. At 1700 I informed him. At 1500 I informed him. He finally left at 1000psi. I informed him at 500psi to surface. We were at 34 ft. He insisted we carry on. At 200psi we started to assend from 21ft. We trying to do a safety stop, but I was really bouyant. I had a tough time floating at 15 ft. At the surface I had 120psi. I was calm through out the whole event, but he was taking chances with my safety. Next time I imagine I should be more forceful on the leaving part.

Unfortunately, your dive buddy wasn't much of a buddy at all. If you believe it's time to end the dive, tell him and end the dive. If he refuses to follow you up, go up anyway. Remember, your safety is 100% your responsibility. Don't dive with this guy again.

You have the right to call a dive at ANY time for ANY reason!
It sounds like you covered this in the pre-dive plan, he obviously
ignored the dive plan. I would not dive with this person again.

Sounds like a divemaster I had on my first night dive...I ended up on the surface, no air, 50 yards from the boat on a moonless night with light chop...had to "hear" the waves hitting the boat to find it...not fun at all.

Mike

"Bad buddy, no air." Then you turn off his air. (j/k)

Seriously now. I wouldn't dive with this person again, and I would tell them why. Didn't follow the plan. Took you beyond your limits. Didn't follow the signals to turn around. Got you really low on air by not following the signals.

The real irony would be that if that person had a problem (say a first stage failure) they would have been dependent on your air, which by their ineptitude had been run low.

I was on a boat once and ended up insta-buddied, and after the first dive I decided I wouldn't dive with this person again. She was a real charlie-foxtrot. Since I don't solo dive I just sat out the next dive and took a nap. Sure enough, they buddied up with someone else and ended up having a problem requiring the boat DM to jump in the water. I found out about that later. Everything ended up ok with no serious consequences, but I was glad I dodged that bullet. I might have warned the other diver, but I didn't know she hooked up with someone else.

La jolla Shores is flat and featureless. The plan was stick together as a group of 6. The two dive instuctors wanted to play with their new full face/ communicators. I was going to hang out with the instructors, but got pair up with someone we all had though was a good diver. My PADI AOW night Dive will be on tues. So I just wanted some extra time.

Did you know this person before the dive? You kind of put yourself in a tough position. You first night dive with somebody you dont know with only six dives logged? I certainly dont have the experience to give advice about diving, other than too say be careful about the situations you put yourself in. You cant control your buddy, but you can control what you set yourself up for.

Leftwinger16:
I am going to say that 6 dives probably isnt enough experience to go on a night dive at any depth....
Why? Because it's dark and you have to deal with a light?

If so, the nOObs are in trouble even in the day around here...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom